That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by Hooli »

I used to have a thin pair of horse riding leather gloves I often drove my MG in, mostly because it's was often mid-winter & rather cold but I had the roof down anyway.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:12 pm
captain_70s wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:27 pm ...which isn't exactly great for gripping during spirited driving,

...which is even bigger, narrower and slippier.
Top Gear Driving Gloves 2.jpg
LOL NOPE
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Not sure if today was a success or not really. Apart from being another complete time thief. Also got a cold and feeling a bit crappy, so wasn't going that quick.

Couldn't do the clutch master as I didn't have the copper washers, and I didn't want to risk it leaking then having to do it again. Why I think the master needs changing?

That fluid was changed when I did the slave cylinder. Probably two years ago or so, but of course hardly any miles.

So decided look at the brakes.

So I looked at them. Here are some pictures so you can look at them too...

Cleaned them up a bit with a brass brush and plenty of brake cleaner.

Discs aren't too pretty either. I gave a quick scrub with a wire brush to clean up a little bit.

One thing I noticed is the nicks in the rubber seal. I think these are purely dust seals so not too much of a concern or risk of leaking fluids. Haven't lost any fluid either so I guess it's ok.

Otherside was worse.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't keep the dust out longer term as I have all new parts in the post to go on anyway.

I cleaned up the pads with the brush, brake cleaner and sanded the edges. Putting together using brake grease on the back and sides. Also gave the edges of the backing pad a very light covering of grease.

Next up was to adjust the rear brakes. I did the usual tighten up and then loose a couple of clicks. All felt good. Then tried the handbrake. This caused the offside to stay pretty stiffly engaged. Pulled off the drum to inspect.

Turns out the handbrake lever is rusty and isn't moving freely. For now if I push the lever back by hand it releases. Something else I need to order and replace. I did try backing off the handbrake adjuster under the car but it didn't make much difference.

That pretty much took most of the afternoon today. God knows how. Also warns me that brake overhaul/rebuild on front and back will take most of a weekend. Quite tempted to farm it out to a garage and let them take the pain.

Went out for another drive and fill up.

Pez shot. Only actually the third time I think it's been to a petrol station in my ownership...

Then went back to the local church for another picture while no cars were there. Instead they put banners up in the way!

On the way back I went for a quick blast on the ring road to get her upto 60mph. Ran alright but did require a bit of work to keep her in a straight line. Also noticed that the idle has dropped back since filling up. Maybe the new fuel or different brand had affected the mixture. I guess it burns easier so probably a bit richer?

Front brakes were a good 30c cooler than previously. Rears still had the imbalance. Pretty sure that's mostly down to the drivers side shoe rubbing, from the handbrake not releasing properly.

So far the mileage since coming out the garage has rolled over 70 miles. Now my confidence has been restored some what, I now need to start venturing further afield...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Oh I forgot to mention that I'm still getting dripage out of the gearbox/flywheel area. Oil looks dirty though, so maybe it's just oil sitting in the bottom from where its leaked while sat stationary.

Also took my elderly neighbour for a spin in it. Totally made his day which is nice - especially as his wife is in hospital and feeling a bit down. He always tells me about how when his son was 19, he went out and bought a Triumph Spitfire. Both him and his son loved that car apparently! Nice to have made someone's day. Especially as my neighbour is such a jolly friendly chap.

Took Mrs SiC upto the supermarket in it. She did quip that it'll probably break now she's in it. She has that affect on my cars sometimes! Anyway the car ran fine. Mrs SiC commented on the fact that it's quite tappy. Sounds like a mini steamtrain apparently??! Maybe I'll have to get an alloy cover to hide that noise more. Longer term if I still have it, it'll probably get an engine rebuild in time. No point doing just the top end when the bottom wouldn't go a miss being rebuilt either.
BurgundyNarrowboatBloke

Post by BurgundyNarrowboatBloke »

STP
Triumph Licker and owner of a 45 that no-one seems to want.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Keep forgetting to go look for some of that!

When restarting after filling up, I did get a little backfire. Startled a middle aged woman quite a bit! Warm starts do need a bit of throttle to get it going and it runs a bit grumpy for a little while. I guess that's the temperature compensators in these HIFs causing that quirk?
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:52 pm So far the mileage since coming out the garage has rolled over 70 miles.

........................................................... fucking hell!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:41 pm
SiC wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:52 pm So far the mileage since coming out the garage has rolled over 70 miles.

........................................................... fucking hell!
What is all the better is that I'm really starting to enjoy driving the car and want to go out in it. Especially as I am being to learn what is normal and what is not. If my cold doesn't get worse tomorrow, I'm hoping to go out somewhere with Mrs SiC in it, finally.

Only issue with all this BGT playing is that the work on the 1100 gas stalled. Literally done nothing more since the MG has been down. Really need to get those rear mounts finished and the subframe back on again. Then finish the last bits of bodywork welding.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

By the look of that rear brake it has been getting seriously hot
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

I’ve been following this adventure on the other place. Glad you’re beginning to get some miles in. Just enjoy it now.