The Last One

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: The Last One

Post by 8BAK465 »

Danthecapriman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:09 pm I’ve been looking into Soviet era trucks...

Not pickups, proper big stuff! ZIL 131 6x6 or a MAZ 537 8x8 heavy haul tractor! The chances of me actually getting one are slim but I most definitely would!

ImageZIL 131 by Michael Detmold, on Flickr

ImageMAZ-537. Photo from Ostrogozhsky district, Voronezh oblast, Russia. by Oleg Guryanov, on Flickr
Just the thing for grocery shopping :lol:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I'd love one of those massive Russian trucks. Ignoring the hideous fuel consumption, the big problem is that every tool you own for working on cars will be useless. Everything would have to be upgraded, be massive and expensive! Really the best thing would be to join a museum group or society who run and repair such things.

Incidentally have you watched a starting video for any of those trucks? I'd want to own one just so I could go through the fun of doing that.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Danthecapriman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:50 pm I’m constantly thinking of things to do or that I’d like.
The other problem I’ve got though really is doing heavy work. My back is knackered and anything heavy or long periods leaning over car engines does not do me well!

Maybe it’s an age thing!?
It is. As someone said once to me: Once you are over 30 it is like when your new car warranty expires. Anything you break after, never works quite the same way again.

Or as a good mate, who is the same age as me, said the other day: I knew I was getting old when I groan as I get up from a chair.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

SiC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 pm I'd love one of those massive Russian trucks. Ignoring the hideous fuel consumption, the big problem is that every tool you own for working on cars will be useless. Everything would have to be upgraded, be massive and expensive! Really the best thing would be to join a museum group or society who run and repair such things.

Incidentally have you watched a starting video for any of those trucks? I'd want to own one just so I could go through the fun of doing that.

Here’s one of the Maz
SiC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 pm
Danthecapriman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:50 pm I’m constantly thinking of things to do or that I’d like.
The other problem I’ve got though really is doing heavy work. My back is knackered and anything heavy or long periods leaning over car engines does not do me well!

Maybe it’s an age thing!?
It is. As someone said once to me: Once you are over 30 it is like when your new car warranty expires. Anything you break after, never works quite the same way again.

Or as a good mate, who is the same age as me, said the other day: I knew I was getting old when I groan as I get up from a chair.
I’m 35 and I groan like that!
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I'm 33 and just started. Also my knee in the last few weeks has suddenly become painful and randomly let's go every so often?! Wtf is that all about??
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I don't imagine working on those would do your back much good.

You'd have no problem people giving way to you though.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

No problem with traffic either! The maz is very capable off road too so you can just take a diversion through a field/river etc etc.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

So all you'll need is a BTR armoured car to put on the back for when you pop into town.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

SiC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:46 pm I'm 33 and just started. Also my knee in the last few weeks has suddenly become painful and randomly let's go every so often?! Wtf is that all about??
I have had that. Pretty sure it's down to twisting it sideways when under cars. Knees are only designed to bend in a straight way. They will bend in other ways and it doesn't hurt when you do it but it does damage them.
OMG U OK HUN?
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

SiC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:46 pm I'm 33 and just started. Also my knee in the last few weeks has suddenly become painful and randomly let's go every so often?! Wtf is that all about??
I had the same symptons after digging up a tree root and bending the fork into uselessness as part of the process.
Turns out I'd torn my miniscus, a keyhole op as a day patient helped a great deal but I still am wary of it as I'm in my mid 60s it's unlikely to heal unlike you youngsters.
As far as I remember, it's a few years ago now, it could have been a few other things so personally I'd go to the docs and get it examined.