Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
eddyramrod
The Invacare Destroyer

Re: Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by eddyramrod »

We all have those, Jo! The big question is, can it be aired in public?
Custodian of an ungrateful Jag.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

eddyramrod wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:24 am We all have those, Jo! The big question is, can it be aired in public?
:lol:

I think so..................................?????????????????????????????????????

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=182
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Time for me to retreat from the car and let my mate who is a mechanic take over.

I had decided to paint the chassis frame rails a good old enamel chassis black but when I taped up the silver in the bay I discovered it hadnt quite cured 😲

It pulled off some of the lacquer and basecoat along this line so I left it a few days and masked off the chassis rains instead as Enamel is more durable.

Anyway this went much better and voila much neater lines :)

Ok so its not a concours look I have painted over some bits but its not about factory correct spot on its about it being clean and looking like it survived ;)

The only thing I am dissapointed in though is the Sump :(

Paint came out lovely on the block its a brushable Enamel by Por15 but theres no Por15 sprayable so I brush painted the sump which in turn ended up full of brush marks 😠

So I wet flatted it,touched in the mistakes and wet flatted those only to find even though I flatted it to a uniform colour the new paint touch ins showed a different shade through the lacquer!

Its now been decided the engine should go in as it is I could spend much longer than the time taken for all on the sump! But Is it worth it? Its dented and bruised its a sump it sits underneath you dont see it when you lift the bonnet.

I never took any pics after the lacquer :roll: Maybe one day ill get a better sump? Until then itll do!
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
eddyramrod
The Invacare Destroyer

Post by eddyramrod »

I wonder if that's to do with how much/how well/how firmly/how long you stirred the paint? If you painted it in two sessions that seems likely, as I doubt you'd ever replicate the first stirring session. Just a thought...
Custodian of an ungrateful Jag.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

eddyramrod wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:55 am I wonder if that's to do with how much/how well/how firmly/how long you stirred the paint? If you painted it in two sessions that seems likely, as I doubt you'd ever replicate the first stirring session. Just a thought...
I dont think your tha far off the mark Eddy I think its because that was the bottom of the can :cry:

Try as you might to stir to an even contistancy by the time its the dregs of the can the pigment will be darker I think?

Anyway its hidden,its protected itll get chipped :roll:

Whilst its on a stand its really doing my head in!

Once its under the car and I can only see a glance of it hanging down it wont bother me ;)
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

That engine bay is looking pretty good now.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Looks great Jo. Very tidy.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the finish on the sump, as you say it’s old and a bit battered anyway. My Pinto sump is similar. I did that in black por but I used a very soft 1’’ artists brush with long bristles but even so it still left a bit of brush marks here and there. I think the trick with it is not letting it dry out too quick so the paint stays runny enough to kind of self heal after the brush strokes stop. My blue por rocker cover looks spot on strangely though and I painted that at the same time.
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Door jambs next and trunk/boot appeture so that basically once all mechanicals have been sorted painting the outside will be a doddle.

Im amazed how well these aersols lay down!

My fear of doing the paint with aerosols was the size of the bonnet but to be fair its the same size under it as over it and the underside painted well :mrgreen:

The lower half is now to be slate grey to break it up so painting doors and wings will be easier toget a nice finish free of tiger stripes :mrgreen: it was only the boonet and roof that were phasing me and the roof area is actually smaller than the bonnet ;)

I am going to probably unbolt the front winga at my mates so I can paint the front unseen portion of the door frame ;)

Still a long way to go but I for the first time can see changes :mrgreen:

So much has been done over a year but it never looked any different :(

Now its starting to so onward and upward
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Danthecapriman wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:24 am Looks great Jo. Very tidy.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the finish on the sump, as you say it’s old and a bit battered anyway. My Pinto sump is similar. I did that in black por but I used a very soft 1’’ artists brush with long bristles but even so it still left a bit of brush marks here and there. I think the trick with it is not letting it dry out too quick so the paint stays runny enough to kind of self heal after the brush strokes stop. My blue por rocker cover looks spot on strangely though and I painted that at the same time.
Funny you say that to my mind even good quality traditional brushes all seem to stiff I know Moddlers brushes are super soft and I think I really needed a large grown up size of moddlers brush :roll:

I have time to think about the valve covers and airbox as Engine is going back in with the chrome ones on for now and they will be swapped over once i have the finish on the originals right ;)
Garbaldy

Post by Garbaldy »

Nice to see your cracking on with the car and i can't wait to see the finished result.

I noticed lex was for sale again with added go faster stickers, It seems no one keeps them very long at all.