The autojumble, or, I should've stayed in bed, thread.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fried onions

The autojumble, or, I should've stayed in bed, thread.

Post by fried onions »

I do enjoy a good root through other people's cast offs. Can't but help myself sift through boxes of filthy rubbish in the hope of finding that elusive gem. I have had some good stuff over the years, some of it rare and valuable at prices reasonable to me. However, as time wears on, I can be less and less bothered about dragging myself out of my pit, dreamland being an attractive alternative. Beaulieu is the only one worth bothering with seriously, as the traders are there all weekend and its huge (anyone up for it this year?) The French autojumble Junkman, Ghosty and I visited was nothing short of a revelation on all counts. Just to give you an idea of the British situation, which is repeated at every single one I've been to except Beaulieu, I shall recount my experiences of Sunday's Normous Newark Auto and Bike Jumble.

Pay to get in, from 8 am £7 if you're in a classic, £10 for a modern conveyance. After 10 am this was cut to £5 for a classic. As it was a 2 hour journey whatever way you look at it, I went for 10 am and woke up the Moggy. I saw a good complement of shite on the way in, and chatted to a chap with a round tail light Standard Ensign, with 1700cc engine, who I saw on the roads in. Part of the experience is chatting to other old car owners, which I always (usually) enjoy.

I hit the aisles of associated tat. An ammeter caught my eye, how much says I? £25! No thank you. Pressing on I find little of any interest amongst the bewildering array of modern shit from China, bottles of cleaning products and heaps of radiator hoses and fan belts for BMC J4 vans. Sifting through the crap resulted in few finds. Mostly service items that are widely available. I persevered and trawled up and down and around, in spite of a chill wind which took the life out of me. It was time to find some culinary sustenance, essential fortification for the task ahead. So I headed indoors to the canteen, bypassing the £6 hipster burger offerings.
IMG_5304.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG (518.15 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
Not that indoors served my needs, or pocket, any better. I couldn't see a price list and no wonder! This little lot amounted to £6.70 FFS! That's six times more than I spent on many of my purchases. The best eatery is Kay's Kitchen at the Lindum Colonia (does it sound better that way Junkman?) autojumble, where you can get a DOUBLE cheeseburger and hot drink for £3.30, which is pretty darn good by any standard.

Some random man approached my solitary table as I sat and ate. I thought he was about to take my hat I'd placed on the chair next to me, and as I eyed him suspiciously he delved underneath the chair to retrieve a part motorcycle exhaust pipe he'd left behind, which I never even noticed. Good job he wasn't a terrorist.

Suitably refreshed, I headed back outdoors and faced a different sort of terror - the view of the autojumble at midday.
IMG_5305.JPG
IMG_5305.JPG (609.15 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
I turned around and hastily moved towards the other end of the field, which still appeared to be pregnant with possibilities. I was right, and saw some interesting stuff, including a very good stand selling all manner of old lights and electrical switches. I didn't buy anything.

I decided to call it quits after I'd spent my cash, happy I'd got some good deals, the traders no doubt thinking they had got the best deal too. People were almost burning rubber to get out.
IMG_5308.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG (456.09 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
I cannot convey the sense of abominable desolation that hung over the place. But let me try. As I sat smoking in the car I noticed some bod dumping stuff beside a bin and some children taking things. I got out to walk over and have a look. These were the things which not so long ago were up for sale! Doesn't that say it all. I scavenged a few gaskets and sump/crank end seals. The dumper saw me and exclaimed there was 'some more for me here', but I'd had enough. Finding consolation in my pipe I wandered back to the car and took a look at some of my car park neighbours before heading home.
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5307.JPG (578.24 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5310.JPG (573.84 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
IMG_5311.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG (606.44 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
Some choice chod on view. Anyway, l@@k what I got!
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG (555.58 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
Not a bad haul, most of the stuff was £1, the most expensive being the GENUWINE NOS Trico vacuum-operated screen washer system. Naturally I have no use for it, nor any of the other stuff. A good day after all.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Re: The autojumble, or, I should've stayed in bed, thread.

Post by CLINT »

I used to go there sometimes. Once bought a mk3 Cortina from there. Now, it's just easier to have a couple of beers and go on ebay
OMG U OK HUN?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I went to a few of the LR themed ones years ago. I never saw the point of selling things for five times the price you can buy them online & running away at lunchtime to avoid having to deal with customers.

Autojumbles are a disappointing experience.
Private signature, do not read
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

fried onions wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:27 pm Newark
I CAN HAZ TEH FRIGHTS
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

I just can't get my head around why they start so early and leave so early.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

I just can't get my head around them on a general principle, but that's just me I guess.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

I'm a sucker for an autojumble and also an auction. In fact, mostly an auction. Always chasing a bargain of something I don't need.

It's so bad, I'm going to try and get rid of some of it at an autojumble this year.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I enjoy it for the escapism and the odd potential hidden gem. But yes the early starts and packing up are shit. It's as if the traders don't want to be there themselves.
Squire Dawson

Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Oh memories.

Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Again this year?
Squire Dawson