Jag! The Ghostly fleet thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
ghosty

Re: Reliable Honda Engine: a spectral fleet thread

Post by ghosty »

I shall refrain in future.

The Civic is reliably running (if a little rich), and the gearbox issues are 95% gone. The fuel pump and VTEC box are now on a switched feed (and I thought carburettors meant I wouldn't have a fuel pump relay!) as I've realised I'm all too likely to forget to use the on/off switch.

The thermostat housing needs changing for one with a temperature sensor boss, as the engine fan relies on it and is currently inoperative.

In other news I'm picking up the keys to the free S90 this evening, to be collected soon.
Watch for pedestrians...
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Nice work. Will we see you on Wednesday?
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Yes, I'm coming, probably in the Civic or 850 though. S90 isn't going to be insured for a bit as it needs a few things doing, MOT, a damn good clean, and possibly some tyres.
Watch for pedestrians...
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

It's a bit dusty, but there's a mostly clean car under there. Front bumper has a couple of scrapes and there's some lacquer peel on the bootlid, but otherwise it's straight.

Boot full of bottles, a new pair of jump leads, something in genuine Volvo packaging, and some genuine Volvo touch-up paint.

CD changer, a nice surprise.

This lens will be replaced, if I could get repro lenses for R8s and a 740 this should be doable. It looks as if someone's tried to paint the bumper.

Oil looks ok.

Engine bay is dusty but tidy, and the expansion tank looks to have been recently replaced.

Steering cowl has been replaced at some point, and the one on there has been hand painted or rattle canned hearing aid beige (wonder if it was a black piece from a 940). I seem to remember RWD Volvos can have ignition switch issues (my 740 had a momentary switch for the starter motor), and this has separate keys for doors and ignition, so I wonder if that's what's happened.

The rest of the interior is tidy, and almost all of the trim is intact, but the centre console armrest had lost its latch, and was a bit wobbly.

Lots of keys and remotes.

Wheels in good nick, and two new tyres on the back, though one was flat. I think the locking key was in the glovebox - if I find it those will be going bye-byes. Front tyres are cracking a bit round the edges, I'll likely replace them as my old 740 really didn't like having bad tyres on the front, especially in the wet.

Radio fascia, climate panel etc in good nick, and the code was present in a pile of odd bits of paperwork on the passenger seat - along with a code to get more keys cut! Same radio that I have in my 850 as found in U-Pull-It for 15 quid, as it happens. Great sounding unit and they fetch decent money too. OE CD changer is a big bonus and a bit on the rare side.
It's all a bit Bluesmobile though, no cigarette lighter.

Said pile of things. Mostly things relating to previous sales of the car, a receipt for the two new tyres, an a couple of other bits like the user manual. I was also given an envelope containing the V5 and a couple of other bits. The bit of plastic beneath is the sunroof motor cover, that I put back in place.

I was slightly surprised to see the clocks are low-spec and look the same as 940 ones, though I didn't pay them much attention - no trip computer (what you don't know can't hurt you I suppose), analogue odometer etc, just the long strip of warning lights at the bottom. :shock: I remember looking at 3VOM's 960, it has clocks more similar to my 850 which is interesting.

Cruise control. :D

Bolster wear not too bad. The suede inserts on the front seats aren't looking too smart, that said it is a decidedly odd choice imo. The (p?)leather will clean up well anyway, if nothing else.

It's a sound car, needs a damn good clean inside and out but it's tidy and should be a good runner. Watch this space for updates.
Last edited by ghosty on Mon May 20, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Watch for pedestrians...
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Lovely, I did enjoy driving those old buses when I worked at a dealer.

I won warning light bingo in one of these too, I spanked it back from Kent on a 2hr or so drive & when I got back every warning light on the dash was lit! it still run & drove perfectly though.
Private signature, do not read
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

There's a few more pics now, think you caught me accidentally clicking submit instead of preview.

It's a tidy thing, I'm looking forward to driving it.
Watch for pedestrians...
stillOrange

Post by stillOrange »

The radiator is new. Oil and cooling liquid did less than 1k miles but that was done 2 years ago.

You don't drive it Max, you cruise ;)
stillOrange

Post by stillOrange »

Ohhhhh and the lighter is ....
20190521_091527.jpg
20190521_091527.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 4298 times
John F

Post by John F »

Fisher-Price gearbox again, I see... :|
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

I don't think these even came in manual tbf.

I'm collecting it on Friday!
Watch for pedestrians...