Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by Hooli »

I've never thought of a slipper clutch stopping you bump starting bikes, makes sense though.
Private signature, do not read
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

It sure does. I didn't realise it had one at first, I was always adjusting the clutch cable thinking it was slipping. Its quite a sophisticated system that also stops me "backing it in" on the tight bends around here :-)
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Just remembered. I went to Bedlington on the vespa last week to meet my mates and watch the terriers/seniors play chav ball.
Anyway I was caning it down the A19 towards the moorfarm roundabout when volvo jeep appeared in my mirrors and kept behind me. We got to the roundabout when he overtook me and I realised it was a fully kitted up police wagon. The vespa is on a sorn. Why didn't he pull me. Does anpr not recognise square number plates or have they bigger fish to fry or not arsed anymore?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Maybe you'll get a nice* surprise in the post?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

#scooterscum
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

#mopedmayhem
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Possibly couldn't be arsed if it was showing as MOT and insured and you weren't riding like a twat.

And the video of your bollocks dragging along the floor will be comedy gold once they get back to the station
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

I didn't know whether to put this in this thread of the grumpy thread, but I have chosen here to vent

The screen on my VFR is the wrong height, so much so that my visor is dirty within fifteen miles, not wanting to spend money on a taller screen and find it was no better or worse I decided to buy a screen extender, because it would be adjustable and considerably cheaper.
I purchased one off ebay and when I went to put it together nothing made sense, the screen and instructions were from they "Great bunch of lads" after finding a YouTube video of assembly I realised that four nuts were missing.
All I could get out of the vendor was £6 and keep the screen, fair enough, that is half price.
I have ordered some more nuts, I have now looked and the delivery is late fucking march, I guess I can tell where they are coming from.

I had previously bought a rack and topBox for the VFR, but unfortunately the rack didn't fit, the vendor agreed to a rebate on that, part although I have kept the box.
The top Box is a kappa box with the Givi Monolock base plate on it.
I was lucky enough to find a brand new Givi Monorack system on eBay during the week and have splashed out rather a lot of money on it, that is being delivered this week.
I assumed that the Monorack would come with a plate as a rack and I would just boot my Monolock plate to it.
From looking at the photographs on the listing, it would appear that the actual rack part of the system is a Monokey part, which of course my topbox won't attach to.

I have found a universal Monolock plate on ebay, but I am undecided on buying that and using my box, or just buying a second-hand Monokey box.
I shall wait until I have the part here before I make a decision.
I never would have guessed that buying such a simple thing could be so fucking difficult.

Thank you Givi for using a simular name for three different things. Wankers.
Last edited by Yellowperil on Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

Hooli wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:10 pm I've never thought of a slipper clutch stopping you bump starting bikes, makes sense though.
I seem to remember five or six of us trying to bump start a massive motocross sidecar outfit in an industrial estate one day, with the intention of doing silly stuff.
I honestly cannot remember what engine was in it, even if it was a two stroke, or four stroke, but no matter what gear we tried, we just couldn't overcome the drag of the clutch.

In hindsight not starting it probably saved the NHS a lot of money that day...
Last edited by Yellowperil on Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

I've come unstuck with the Monolock/Monokey stuff when I had my Guzzi.

In the end I got a Hepco & Becker rack and their C-Bow pannier brackets, all fitted in less than ten minutes.