Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by Hooli »

Some I drove did, but as you say they were noisy. The one I recall was a fourth pedal to the left of the clutch that just went click when you trod on it to trigger the exhaust brake.
Private signature, do not read
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:57 pm I take it coaches didn't have the equivalent of a jake brake? Mind they can make a hell of a noise.

Which reminds me, this pretty much summed up every road train driver who passed as in Aus with the hammer down and the last trailer wagging like a dogs tail...
Exhaust brakes were fitted to some coaches and trucks but not many. Our Reliance's upto the 1972 batch had them. Basically a switch on the dash that cut the fuel pump and operated a valve to close the exhaust off.
A man of few words, usually offensive.
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

paulplom wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:27 pm Just walked past an electric wank panzer and noticed it had massive drums on the rear. What is the purpose of that? Regen braking?
EVs don't need large capacity brakes because so much deceleration energy is returned to the battery from the motor during deceleration. Drum brakes are still the preferred (ie cheaper) option when they are good enough.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

A really good friend of mine was a teacher (Physics) but loved bus/coach driving and did it at any opportunity. He worked part-time for Wallace Arnold Coaches and many times I went with him for the crack.

I was always fascinated by the electric brake switch on the left side of the column (Telma?) and thought it was a wonderful idea... until the day it failed and caught fire somewhere deep under the coach. Que massive evacuation of said coach with many wet and weary passengers at the side of the road.

We'd been to Torquay to see Cannon and Ball so a bad day all round!
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

A couple of cars in my road were clamped by the DVLA this morning and being a nosey type I looked up this Aldi that I've seen parking there on and off for some time
LM69XDV.jpg
LM69XDV.jpg (193.4 KiB) Viewed 186 times
so I have two questions;

1) How could anyone forget to tax and MOT their expensive fairly new car for such a length of time?
2) How does one go about getting it sorted out as they can't get a tax without an MOT?

Edit; Amongst my questions are...

3) How have they avoided being caught up to now?
nebuchenezer
Captain Turdseye!

Post by nebuchenezer »

Nae money
nebuchenezer
Captain Turdseye!

Post by nebuchenezer »

And lucky
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Asimo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:31 am
paulplom wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:27 pm Just walked past an electric wank panzer and noticed it had massive drums on the rear. What is the purpose of that? Regen braking?
EVs don't need large capacity brakes because so much deceleration energy is returned to the battery from the motor during deceleration. Drum brakes are still the preferred (ie cheaper) option when they are good enough.
I think it's less about price and more about that EVs don't use disc brakes enough to keep them clean and free due to regen. So they end up rusting and seizing from lack of use.

Tbh drums are probably more expensive nowadays? More labour intensive to assemble in a factory and discs are so ubiquitous, they probably have quantities of scale behind them.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

FhakeConcern wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:19 pm 1) How could anyone forget to tax and MOT their expensive fairly new car for such a length of time?
2) How does one go about getting it sorted out as they can't get a tax without an MOT?
1) #adminfail. e.g. Plumbers that forget to update their details with the DVLA / On extended holiday/work abroad / Head in sand / Chancing it.

From Tommy's experience with his Jaaag:

If it has tax on it, but no MOT they don't bother their hole with it (which could be just short of a year)

If it the runs out of VED (road rent) then back office checks shove a DVLA letter out in the post with a standard penalty*

It gets sorted out by getting a MOT then re-taxing it.

The above assumes motor insurance is continuing throughout.

If it's left longer (or immediately if SORN), then they clamp it/tow it.

* https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-offences
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

Eddie Honda wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:13 pm
FhakeConcern wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:19 pm 1) How could anyone forget to tax and MOT their expensive fairly new car for such a length of time?
1) #adminfail. e.g. Plumbers that forget to update their details with the DVLA / On extended holiday/work abroad / Head in sand / Chancing it.

From Tommy's experience with his Jaaag:

It gets sorted out by getting a MOT then re-taxing it.

The above assumes motor insurance is continuing throughout.
This is what I don't get, the car is clamped so how do you get them to release it for an MOT? I promise I will get it MOT'd?

Regarding no money excuse, the thing is a £50K car when new and probably £25-30K now..