That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
coalnotdole

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by coalnotdole »

Lockheed brake servos can be a pig to bleed as they can often hold trapped air inside them, due to only really being designed to mount at a specific angle. I've got an aftermaket one on the GTE and its always been a right bastard to bleed with any kind of pressurised bleeding kit. I threw my Gunson Misery bleed away for a reason!

I'm a big beliver in bleeding brake systems manually! you need an assistant to sit in the car and pump the pedal but I recon it gives much better results!

Joe
Last edited by coalnotdole on Mon May 27, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

60s/70s British designers didn't really worry about making it possible to bleed things. I mean on my Bonnie you have to remove the rear caliper & hold it upright to bleed the thing. it uses the same caliper as the front brakes, but the bleed nipple is at the lowest point on the rear.
Private signature, do not read
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Yup, Dolomite clutches are a fucking nightmare to bleed 'cause the nipple is at the lowest point in the system...

I've got one of those pathetic Vizibleeds, does a grand job though, especially compared to having to balance a bloody jar of brake fluid with a pipe in it somewhere which always gets knocked over or the pipe comes out of the liquid or whatever.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

coalnotdole wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:47 pm Lockheed brake servos can be a pig to bleed as they can often hold trapped air inside them, due to only really being designed to mount at a specific angle. I've got an aftermaket one on the GTE and its always been a right bastard to bleed with any kind of pressurised bleeding kit. I threw my Gunson Misery bleed away for a reason!

I'm a big beliver in bleeding brake systems manually! you need an assistant to sit in the car and pump the pedal but I recon it gives much better results!

Joe
I forgot about that bloody brake servo. Following the Lockheed manual, the stock servo is fitted at the wrong angle and so can easily get air trapped in it. I had such fun with that when I replaced the master cylinder. Ended up getting my wife to pump the pedal and me cracking the hydraulic fittings open on the brake servo. This and then manual bleeding by pumping the pedal got it sorted back then.

I wonder if air did get in when that reservoir tank drained out and that air is now stuck in the brake servo. When I checked both front calipers after the master reservoir emptied out, it was pushing bubble free fluid through. But I had that last time when the master was changed but air in that servo was causing the problem.

Loads of people moan about getting the clutch slave bled but I never had any issue. I just zip tied it fully in, left it dangling to make the slave nipple at the highest point and then Ezi-bleed it and cleared right out.

Didn't get time tonight to check, but hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow to see if it's improved the pedal feel and the level has changed. I think the pedal pressure overnight trick is what fully sorted it last time.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

A bloody great syringe full of brake fluid to reverse bleed can work well on some systems. It works on my bike's front brakes, but in that case it's even easier just to suck the fluid out of the nipple with the syringe.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This is the page of the manual for installation of the brake servo.
Screenshot_20190527-224050_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20190527-224050_Adobe Acrobat.jpg (897.72 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
You can see how the brake servo is installed in mine. This is the position how they came out of the factory like. Can't easily change the position without making up new brake lines.
20190512_190923.jpg
20190512_190923.jpg (4.39 MiB) Viewed 4584 times
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Ahh, excellent work there Leyland.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Originally they didn't have servos so I guess that they just had to shoehorn it into whatever space they could.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Aye I was looking at it thinking if they turned it then it'd foul the wing.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Plan of attack this weekend, if I get time, is to:
  • Bleed the fuck out of the system.
  • Attempt to bleed the servo by cracking open the fittings
  • Adjust the rear brakes again. I think I was backing it off too far as I was trying to get zero rubbing.
  • Have read that some of these calipers can come with quite dry pistons. So you end up getting a bit of springing back of them with the rubber seals. I'll push them out a bit and out some red rubber grease on.
  • Clamp different pipes and try to isolate which end and piston is causing the grief.
If all else fails, it's booked in at a garage for them to check it through and bleed the system. Determined to take it to shitefest next weekend, so needs to be sorted and safe by then. Speaking of which, anyone on here going?