That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:30 am Pads had this weird coating on. Not sure what it was and wasn't that well put on. So I scraped it off
You Rodney plonker.

That there rubberised coating is there in lieu of anti-squeal shims...
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'd start a thread on the Boxster, it seems to be a pretty broad church here.

If no one reads it it'll drop off the list of most recent postings so it's not going to 'clog things up'.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

What are the temperatures like now?
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 am
SiC wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:30 am Pads had this weird coating on. Not sure what it was and wasn't that well put on. So I scraped it off
You Rodney plonker.

That there rubberised coating is there in lieu of anti-squeal shims...
I did think I could possibly be for something like that. However it was so badly and unevenly applied that it was flaking off and I don't think I could have got the pads in. The old pads didn't have any of it on and they didn't squeal!

I'll bring it down at the end of the week for more fettling. I've left a jack handle pressing on the pedal which hopefully will help with the bleeding. Once it's down again, I will put a whole lot more brake fluid through to really make sure the system is bled through.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'd guess at the rears being out of adjustment after the issues with the handbrake mech.
Private signature, do not read
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Please take this MGB to a professional. You really should not be having this much trouble with the brakes. I work on my own and never use a pressure bleeder and have always got a good brake with just gravity. It sounds like the handbrake levers might not be fitted correctly or you have the incorrect parts. Basically I would be a lot happier if you had someone double check you have done it right. It probably is ok but by your description it sounds like somethings not right.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I reckon I didn't get all the air out on both halves of the calipers. Probably needs taking off and angling to put the outside of the caliper pointing down. Then when re-bled it will have the bleed nipple at the very top for both sides of the caliper.

I'll also check tonight or tomorrow to see if the fluid has dropped after leaving the jack handle pressing on the pedal. This sorted out the brakes when I had trouble after replacing the master cylinder. I believe there is some flow restrictor in these MGB masters which make it a bit more awkward to bleed.

I'll have a chat tomorrow with the classic friendly garage around the corner and see if they have any availability this week. Can also get them to replace that wheel stud and properly shim the nearside wheel. Hopefully they have time, as I did want to take it to the Haynes breakfast meet this coming weekend. Then shitefest the weekend after.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

Messed up the rear brakes, couldn't fix them, so moved on to the front and did the same.

Good work.

Ben
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

BenHar wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:29 pm Messed up the rear brakes, couldn't fix them, so moved on to the front and did the same.

Good work.

Ben
Brake balance is important! :lol:
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

BenHar wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:29 pm Messed up the rear brakes, couldn't fix them, so moved on to the front and did the same.

Good work.

Ben
Yes! It certainly was a very productive day!

Also why I didn't change the clutch master too. If that didn't go to plan and I couldn't clutch, I wouldn't have been able to swap the cars over. This would have been a rather big inconvenience.