How to buy a car in the lockdown.Take two. Bentley Turbo R

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: How to buy a car in the lockdown.Take two. Bentley Turbo R

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Someone I know was having trouble getting a Saxo 1.1 through the emissions a while back and asked me to help, they are apparently notorious for failing? A bottle of injector cleaner in a quarter tank of Super Plus, a good thrashing and then getting the tester to do the emissions as soon as it went through the door and it passed no problem at all. I didn't even need to bother changing the plugs. I know they are vastly different animals but you'd think the fundamentals would be the same?
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I've used Forte engine flush fairly regularly on my Discovery TD5 and even at 158,000 the oil is a very light golden brown on the dipstick. I've used the diesel treatment regularly too and the injectors are still the originals.
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Interesting re the engine flush stuff, I’ve never used it for fear of dislodging something on the old crap I’ve driven and the newer stuff has always been clean due to changing on time.

I may have to give it a go.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I have been using engine flush in customers cars for 10 years now. The ones that have been on it the longest still have clean oil each year when it gets done again. I wouldn't use it on anything old though or that has not been serviced regularly. I do think they are all snake oils but the flush does seem worthwhile in prolonging engine life. The injector cleaners I am not sure about as a preventative thing but sometimes give good results getting stuff through emissions tests.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I tend to throw them into my stuff once they have had a couple of oil changes if I'm in doubt how much cack might be dislodged
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I had the injector seals replaced on the Disco last year and all 5 injectors came out without the slightest issue. Is that luck of is that because I've keep contamination at bay for the life of the car?

I'd be loath to pay retail for Forte, but paying trade, I'm more than happy to use it. The gas treatment for the petrol cars definitely shifts clagg, while I've never had a DPF issue on any of the modern diesels I've ran as I treat them regularly.

Sorry to take the thread off topic.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

It used to be about £8 a can for their diesel magic stuff
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

No idea how much the Forte stuff is now but when I first started selling it around 10 years ago the retail was 10.95 a bottle. I can't remember what it was trade but there was a decent mark up
The rep packed it in and started selling 4 tec which he claims is the same stuff in different bottles. I used to be in the good garage scheme with Forte but it was a joke. The only requirement was to pay them 30 quid a month and use their products on every service. On a full service they expected me to use 30 quids worth of their stuff and it just seemed a rip off to me. My customers never noticed any difference or even commented when I dropped it.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Oh and no worries about thread drift that is what makes this place interesting the way things just drift off there is always something new to learn.
I did get some Bentley work done and it just needs bleeding now before going back for retest. I will update when I get the chance with some pictures.the shock was fun !
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Are you looking to address the advisories too for the retest or “just” (I note how much you’ve already done) do the majors?

Are you Great Yarmouth way or Torquay way? I may be looking at transport quotes to Dad in Knott End on Sea. I’m praying Yarmouth.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.