That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by LynehamHerc »

Thanks
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Looking at the cost of the parabolic springs and adding the cost of a decent set of adjustable rear telescopic shock kit on it, you're spending more than the Cornish springs. About the same if you go cheap generic shocks but then you're likely to bugger up the handling if the shocks haven't been properly matched.

Also I can't be fucked fiddling around trying to adjust shocks to get it handling properly. It's why I've bought a set of non adjustable, stock shocks to replace the adjustable Spax shocks on my Dolomite
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Ha I made the mistake of googling "lever arm vs telescopic shock" and read the forums.

My like for the lever arms isn't necessarily because I think they're better or worse, but more for the novelty factor of them having them in the first place. I don't want my MGB GT driving or performing like a modern car. I've got modern cars which do that already.

Basically I like the shitness of the stock setup.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Having a Google, some have said that this company actually makes the Cornish BCC springs:
http://www.owensprings.co.uk/springs/vintage/
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Interesting to see how you get on with your leaf springs? Mine are knackered,not broken as such just no longer any bow in them hence why Shiteys rear end is reverse hot rod stance :lol:

I can get a new pair from the states but once you figure in shipping and duties I have wondered if somebody here can make a set at a more viable price?

Also heard you can get originals restored?

Think they reheat and quench them?
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That is probably it now until Spring next year.
Well that was a lie. I suppose I did say probably...

Laguna was boring me a bit too much, so it has gone back into storage and I'll SORN it. I'm going to take it to the Haynes Breakfast Meet on this Sunday (5th January 2020). Anyone else going?

First thing first was to get her out...
[youtube][/youtube]

Then filled her up and drove back 20 miles home from storage. Touch wood she's still running really well. Even with one of the carbs only having half the quantity of dashpot oil in it. I must have undone it to check before putting it away but forgot to screw the lid back on properly before I drove to the storage.

Right now though she could do with an oil+filter change, a wash and the headlight wiring upgrading. Ideally the grease points if I get a chance too. Might get one of those nifty air powered jobbies for that though.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

If my Panhard completes it's run out to Haselbury mill tomorrow I will try to make it to the Haynes meet at the weekend.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Only difference I ever found when the dashpots are empty was they get less smooth at a constant throttle. They develop a slight shakeyness, like anything runing a ford VV carb always has.

I know it should affect throttle response etc too, but can't say I ever noticed that bit.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

When these have been empty it doesn't want to accelerate at all and will just stall out. Could well be that is not helped by them running a bit rich too. I know this as have cleaned out the dashpots before and got worried I broke something when I reassembled them.

It wasn't particularly smooth running today, no doubt partially caused by it I bet. Wasn't completely empty, but only about a quarter full.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Fan bloody tastic.

Cut straight out suddenly. Literally just had a service at the local classic friendly garage.

I've ripped out the spark assistor and it got it going again for about a mile. Then cut out again suddenly. Swapped to a spare coil and still no-go. That's the limit I'm prepared to do on the M5 hard shoulder at approaching rush hour.

Called recovery. RAC reckon it'll be 60-90 minutes. Lovely.