That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by LynehamHerc »

SiC wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:18 pm Swapped it back over with the Boxster this evening. Looks like it will be down with me for at least the next two weeks. Then probably another swapsy.

Things needed to be done: Put new second hand distributor in and set static timing, fit short shifter and, as I'll be going to some shows, give a bloody good polish. Currently got that cloudy look that you get with cellulose paint when it hasn't been polished for a while. I hate polishing cars but it really needs doing. Haven't done it in all the time I've owned it...!

Any recommendations on polish that can easily be worked by hand? Also I guess I ought to wax it after too? I'm not great on this detailing lark.
I've been using Autoglym super resin polish and Collinite 476 wax for a few years now and have found them pretty good.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:22 pm Oh and she seems to be running a bit grumpy again this evening. Idle sounds and feels like a misfire - a lot more so than usual. Not sure if it's the sparking plugs getting coked up from running rich or the cheapy crappy distributor being crap with timing. Or one causing the other.

I'll change the distributor and leads over to see if it makes any difference. Failing that, try cleaning the plugs up too. I think I need to have a tweak on the mixture again as well. Tempted to get my local, classic friendly garage to give the carb mixture a once over.
I was going to say check the carbs, my Midget was always the carbs adjusting their own mixture.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Once you set up an SU carb properly, there should be no need to adjust it for a very long time. The only thing you need do as routine is keep the dashpot topped up with oil.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Depends on the SU squire. The later ones I had were improved* by the removal of the locking nut when setting the mixture and just had a spring to stop* things moving.
Once I found the best setting (11 7/8s from shut) I threadlocked them to resolve the improvement*
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I'm running HIF4, mixture setup is rather different and so no nuts to tighten up either.

I think I found the cause of the rough running tonight. Turns out that the clip for the distributor had punched a hole in the cap. Not a massive hole but one big enough for oil and crap to get in. The bit that broke off also got wedged between the body and condenser. No doubt restricting movement when vac advancing.

I forgot to take a picture of the cap but you can see the remanence of the cap here. I'll take a picture tomorrow if I remember.

Naturally the plugs were pretty carboned up.

Put a set of new distributor doctor points, condenser and rotor arm in the replacement second hand distributor. Also had a new QH cap too that is reckoned to be higher quality. That little lot cost me just under 35 quid from Moss. Better bloody be good. I already had bought these bits before cros sent me the collection of bits.

Also tested the vac advance with a red box Chinese vacuum pump. Moved the plate freely and reasonably smoothly. Held pressure too.

Timed up the distributor statically. I find this way with a DMM a bit easier than a test light.

Went for a drive and it's idling better. Idle has actually raised up to around 1000rpm, from ~800rpm. So must be a bit happier and running more efficiently with this distributor that the crappy Chinese unit. No surprise there really - not least as the Chinese unit has a hole in the dizzy cap.

Checked the oil when I got back ... it's nommed it all again. :(
Weird thing is that when it does, it sits right at the minimum mark?

Finally...

Long stick

Short stick

An idea of size difference

Fits my arm position much better than the original.

Despite it being shorter, it isn't that much harder to shift. But the engaged feels more positive and direct. Not driven it yet though, so we will see.

It does make the gear change feel slightly more modern though. Easy enough to change back if I don't like it though.

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Filled up. Last tank worked out as 26mpg. Can't remember if that's good or bad. Will be interesting to see any differences now that this distribution is on.

Went for a blast around the back lanes tonight to try out the gear stick. It's much nicer. The action feels a lot better to my arm. Worth the £67 or so it cost.

Also this happened tonight. Quite a milestone for this little car. I did wonder if it'd even manage it or if the numbers would seize up from lack of use. It's been a long, long time since the thousands digit rolled over last.

Oh and the car has rewarded me, after I put these trinkets on it, by making the high beam flasher on the stalk stop working.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

26 is fine, 30 on a good run using overdrive a lot.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

What tool do I need to remove the rear differential fill plug? My 1/2 inch rachet head doesn't fit in
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Think it's 7/16" sq so 11mm sq will do.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Thanks.

I'll order this: