That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by SiC »

In 20 years time, when some of us are as old as you, we will be saying to people of a similar age how we used to get V8 barge/NA hot hatches/RWD coupes easily for under 2 grand. MX5/MGF for half that. Pre-90s classic cars for under 5k, Etc. Hell even a flat-6 Porsche for under that. While by then all that sort of stuff is mega money and fully GPS tracked electric cars are the boring norm.

Just think of all the boring diesel dross around right now that will be worth a lot of money. People going nuts over TDCi Mondeo MK3, Focus ST170 worth silly money, E90s worshipped, Golf Mk5 GTi as collectors items.

But I'll put money on most Vauxhalls being worthless junk.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

I'd have an MG. It'd have to be an early 1970s GT, in Bronze Yellow, preferably with the Dunlop alloys as fitted to the V8s. As per this:
fe256e66c61ecaad0b6347fa8ef580c1.jpg
fe256e66c61ecaad0b6347fa8ef580c1.jpg (292.09 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
No wires, because wires are daft on post war cars. No floppy tops because I'm not that way inclined. I wouldn't really want a nice shiny one either, some shitter to rag about would be better.

No doubt they aren't worth the current values, but everything else is equally as inflated so whatever.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

captain_70s wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:21 pm I'd have an MG. It'd have to be an early 1970s GT, in Bronze Yellow, preferably with the Dunlop alloys as fitted to the V8s. As per this:

fe256e66c61ecaad0b6347fa8ef580c1.jpg

No wires, because wires are daft on post war cars. No floppy tops because I'm not that way inclined. I wouldn't really want a nice shiny one either, some shitter to rag about would be better.

No doubt they aren't worth the current values, but everything else is equally as inflated so whatever.
I think they're worth it. They are still one of the cheapest pre-80s classics around. Under 5k will get you in a good chrome BGT, while that will struggle to even get a decent Spitfire/chrome Midget now.

For me, this is close to my ideal spec. Favourite style grille, Webasto, low owners and a bright colour. Maybe the steels with chrome hub caps like cros has instead of rostyles.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363313517118

Next up is the Rubber bumper GT with a ST front splitter. The orange one I saw was basically ideal on what I really wanted. If I see one come up like it, I'd be tempted to jump over to one. I actually really like the RB, despite the dislike many have to them.

My BGT would be one of the last cars I'd sell when I come to thin the fleet down. Been debating whether to get one with a Webasto, but I've got attached to my car now. Can't bring myself to hack a hole in the top of it either.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

I'd have thought a decent chrome bumper MGB GT would be north of £6k with projects being £2k odd and various levels of tarted up shitters in-between? I know the last time I bothered looking plastic bumper coupes were starting to hit £4-5k.

That J reg one looks a decent buy, but I'd be surprised if it'll leave much change out of £3k to buy, and then eat another £2k to get it road going and reliable. A quarter of my yearly wage and I'd get a shabby MG with a tractor engine and 1950s suspension. Meh.

Of course when I started looking at 60s/70s BLMC shitters they were £1500-2000, which seemed about right for niche antique tech for people who love their cars to steadily and constantly degrade in front of them. They haven't become any better with age, nor are they rarer, they're just 4x the price.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

captain_70s wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:15 am I'd have thought a decent chrome bumper MGB GT would be north of £6k with projects being £2k odd and various levels of tarted up shitters in-between? I know the last time I bothered looking plastic bumper coupes were starting to hit £4-5k.
Like with most classic cars at the moment, the supply is limited due to lockdown and many old people who own the cars not wanting to risk people visiting. So the majority up for sale are dealers with their unrealistic pricing and sitting on them for yonks.

I bought mine mid 2017 and paid iirc £3600. As at the time, it was £4k-5k for a decent one like mine or £5k+ for an absolute mint example. Like everything, when you're there in person, bargains can be had. The guy selling mine was selling it on behalf of his friend who left it sat in his garage for 15 odd years. So wanted it shifting but still wanted a realistic price for it.

Looking on eBay completed listings, I see around 5 BGTs within 150 miles of here that have sold under 4k that look respectable and road legal. A few more under £5k. So prices haven't really risen at all. Realistically mine is probably worth in the £4k to £5k bracket if I wanted a reasonably quick sale.
captain_70s wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:15 am That J reg one looks a decent buy, but I'd be surprised if it'll leave much change out of £3k to buy, and then eat another £2k to get it road going and reliable.
I'd be surprised if it cost £2k to sort if bodywork isn't needed. Mine needed a lot doing but I only spent about £1k on all the parts. That was brake master, clutch master, clutch slave, brake flexis, front calipers, discs, pads, bushes, rear cylinders, shoes, adjusters, fitting kit, fuel pump, fuel copper pipe, fuel tank, carb service kit and numerous associated fixings. Parts are readily available and not terribly expensive. Yes some are crap quality but a lot are decent.

A good idea of parts prices as complete part kits here:
http://msc.parts/contents/en-uk/d170_Kits.html

This is part of the appeal of them. Fun to drive cars that are easy to maintain with a readily available supply of parts. Unlike the Dolomite where you are limited to Rimmer prices or one of many one-man-band mail order outfits. Panels being the limited range the club provides, over priced Rimmers or a bum fight for the essential panels that are NLA. The 1100 is even worse with either Longbridge Motor Spares (very manual ordering process but prices are ok) or trying to part match with other BMC stuff. Replacement body panels are pretty much non existent.
captain_70s wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:15 am A quarter of my yearly wage and I'd get a shabby MG with a tractor engine and 1950s suspension. Meh.
I'm not going to comment much on wages as everyone earns different. But you've mentioned that you're at the lower end of the wage scales in the UK. Even then, they are at least achievable to buy with your wages. A strain yes, but it's possible. Unlike a pre-80s Jag, Alfa, Italian, BMW, Merc or even Ford where you'd be looking at few years of your salary for something half decent. Even the 2CV is north of 5k now ffs.

As you well know, most pre-70s based British journeyman car are OHV and that stretched into the 70s unless it was a particular new design. That's no bad thing as they're very easy to fix, good levels of low down torque and robust units. In stark contrast to the fragile slant Triumph lumps where they'll nuke themselves if the water level drops a tad and then a nightmare to fix as the heads has welded themselves to the block.

In terms of suspension, there is nothing wrong with Armstrong dampers. They do their job damping perfectly well. Fell out of favour with manufacturers as they're expensive to produce and car packaging found struts and shocks easier to pack into a chassis. Also harder to change the damping levels and adjusting the ride height. They do leak their fluids over time but they're easily topped up. A upright shock in contrast would be going in the bin when they leak. So slightly more maintenance but possible to fix rather than chucking in a bin.
captain_70s wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:15 am Of course when I started looking at 60s/70s BLMC shitters they were £1500-2000, which seemed about right for niche antique tech for people who love their cars to steadily and constantly degrade in front of them. They haven't become any better with age, nor are they rarer, they're just 4x the price.
£2k in 2009 when you were first looking is £2750 in today's money after inflation, according to the BoE. Rounding up, there is still plenty of British pudding for under £3k. Less stuff around than 2009, but that's not just over inflation price rises from rising interest in classic cars, increase due to MOT+tax exemption (cheaper to own+run) but general attrition of old cars. But then because of that, the price rises mean people are more prepared to restore cars back onto the road. So maybe the additional supply will level off prices rises.
Last edited by SiC on Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

If you want to drive something old regularly it better be common as muck or you'll spend most of the time making bits to keep it working.
I thought I'd be OK with the 205 Gentry I picked up cheap 4 years ago, as most parts are common to the plentiful GTi. When the exhaust and cat went the only replacements available were useless and I ended up spending hours cobbling something together from second hand parts. (Stainless big bore at more than the vehicle cost wasn't for me, and after other hassles neither was the car.)
I think ic engined motors wont be allowed for much longer, make the most while you can. Spluttering round the ring at a car show a few times a year will, of course, be permitted.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:49 pm
Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:30 pm
The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:29 pm nave plate = hub cap.
FTFY

There's no fucking 'K'!
Fuck me, the art of sarcasm is a dying one.
Your perfect execution of it shows otherwise.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I nearly dipped a toe into MGB ownership a few years back when a mate was flogging a rubber bumper GT with a Webasto. Probably the least attractive combination (it still had deckchair seats, too) but it drove bloody lovely and I was tempted at 3.5k. He still has his V8 but rarely drives it - the fourpot was almost a daily and I still feel he sold the wrong one.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:46 am I nearly dipped a toe into MGB ownership a few years back when a mate was flogging a rubber bumper GT with a Webasto. Probably the least attractive combination (it still had deckchair seats, too) but it drove bloody lovely and I was tempted at 3.5k. He still has his V8 but rarely drives it - the fourpot was almost a daily and I still feel he sold the wrong one.
Funnily enough I've heard this several times that the regular 4 pot is actually the best balance.

This very wealthy chap (even wealther than NF) who owns many exotic cars and restoring a large country mansion says his MGB GT is his favourite (this is apparently the earliest surviving BGT). In the comments he reckons a tuned 4-pot is his preferred choice:
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

That is lovely, can only imagine what these would be worth had they stopped making them in 1970.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......