That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:33 pm That is lovely, can only imagine what these would be worth had they stopped making them in 1970.....
And yet I'm pleased they didn't as it means I can readily afford a later but slighly less desirable 70's one that is pretty much the same.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I can't check at the moment but aren't all the changes between 70 and late 74 relatively minor cosmetics like rubber on the over riders, the biggest being a different grill? I think that the servo may have been made standard sometime during this period as well but can't think of any other mechanical changes.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

LynehamHerc wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm I can't check at the moment but aren't all the changes between 70 and late 74 relatively minor cosmetics like rubber on the over riders, the biggest being a different grill? I think that the servo may have been made standard sometime during this period as well but can't think of any other mechanical changes.
Can't remember exactly but off the top of my head: servo came standard later (mine had it standard), grille changed twice, overriders slightly changed and the steering column gained the ability to collapse. Dash changed slightly - switches, gained an armrest + centre console, gear knob and radio moved position. Seat foam and material changed a couple of times with headrests standard later. Door handles changed to Marina style. Engine changed a bit for emissions reasons inside (also probably as the tooling got knackered) with bigger valves move to HIF4 instead of HS4, different dizzy curves, etc.

Basically small revisions. 75-76 initial rubber bumper changes were minimal - iirc dash changed to V8, overdrive switch moved and some (worse) suspension changes. Biggest changes were post 77 iirc - suspension, interior, wiring, dual circuit brakes standard (in EDM), and like.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

I know that headrests weren't standard before the RB models as mine didn't have them and it was one of the last chrome bumpers.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I wasn't particularly knocking the changes, by the way, just pointing out my perceived idea of the values had they remained solely a "Sixties" model with consequent large reduction in availability.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SiC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:20 pm In 20 years time, when some of us are as old as you, we will be saying to people of a similar age how we used to get V8 barge/NA hot hatches/RWD coupes easily for under 2 grand. MX5/MGF for half that. Pre-90s classic cars for under 5k, Etc. Hell even a flat-6 Porsche for under that. While by then all that sort of stuff is mega money and fully GPS tracked electric cars are the boring norm.

Just think of all the boring diesel dross around right now that will be worth a lot of money. People going nuts over TDCi Mondeo MK3, Focus ST170 worth silly money, E90s worshipped, Golf Mk5 GTi as collectors items.

But I'll put money on most Vauxhalls being worthless junk.
No. None of that shit will be desirable.

As ever, the art is to buy the right cars at the right time. I inherited a 964 C4 but bought all kinds of stuff in the 90's when they were £12k or less and thus attainable. E30 M3, a 3.0CSL, a couple of Cooper S's, an Alpina B9 3.5 and a ur Quattro. These were hero cars (and superb examples), not turgid 90's crap. I've no interest in those apart from cheap smokers. I bought right and sold right but if I'd hung onto a couple I'd have 200k plus sat gathering dust. :roll: :lol:
Apart from the Mini, I never got involved in projects. Spend the money on the right car to start with.

Nobody will care about an E90, let alone worship them. Well, you might. :lol:
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Both of my sons are in their twenties.
Neither have any interest in cars except to get from A to B, nor do their mates. The elder could certainly afford something a lot more expensive than his Citigo but it does what he wants. They're just white goods and that seems pretty typical of that generation.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

The golden era of motoring has long gone. There will be no nostalgia for most cars from the last 10-20 years and therefore no market for them.
Old cars proper - pre 2000 - is booming because car lovers now know that modern stuff has no future. When I was buying tidy E28's for £500, BMW were still making really nice cars.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Not only that, you can't repair cars yourself now and parts supply is not what it used to be.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Went up to the MGB to get it running ready for a service at the garage. First off I emptied the Dolomite crap into the Clio for storage.

As the MGB wasn't starting and there was no fuel pump clicking, it must have been a fueling issue.

Attaching a jumper link got it pumping
[YouTube][/YouTube]

Left that permanently attached. Also cleaned up the earth on the pump too.

The car rewarded me on this repair by peeing petrol all over the floor. I did the banjo bolt up as tight as I could but access is rubbish, especially laying on my back. Its tight enough to stop it badly dripping but it's still leaking. I'll let the garage fix it properly.

Went for a start
[YouTube][/YouTube]

Then went for a drive. Drove alright but there's pulsing from the brake pedal. I think the pad material stuck on the disc from where it's sat and I don't think the pads retracted fully. Again I'll let the garage sort that out.

Car is feeling a bit sorry for itself. I think it will need some bodywork in the not too distant future. That will definitely have to wait until the Dolomite is done.