That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
cros
The Elastrator

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by cros »

chadders wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:48 pm Peter Burgess near Derby has a good reputation. That's where I'd go.
He has. I sold a Sherpa B series head to someone who is supercharging his engine; Burgess recommended this particular head as being most suitable for having its valves enlarged and carried out the work. It looks impressive, but is an expensive route to obtaining the sort of power you'd get from a standard MX5. The set up sucks through a single SU.
fdda91a4e263f13655c9e8190b05f9ee.jpg
fdda91a4e263f13655c9e8190b05f9ee.jpg (195.69 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I was sold by the idea of Oselli boring out my engine (in the future, not cheap job...) by Mr6C telling me how lively his friends MGB is with its 1950cc bored out engine. Now I'd might only go as far as a 1840cc but either way, the thought of enlarging for more power, along with a rebuild is quite appealing. But £3k is quite a lot of dosh to spend on a large lawnmower engine.

Also need to get that 1100 engine rebuild soon too. Finances have to be prioritised.

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Distributors....

Mine is basically fucked. Vacuum advance doesn't, mounting collar cracked and it's cam is worn. Distributor Doctor will rebuild and calibrate for £260 odd. Brand new 123 ignition distributor is similar money for one of their basic ones. I also have that CSI ignition thing I should send off to have the immobiliser crap taken off and use that.

Either way, those options won't happen immediately. Right now it has a £25 crappy eBay repro on it. It works but obviously subpar part. The engine is lumpy at idle with a slight misfire. Most likely the distributor being crap. Richardthestag noticed this slight misfire too at shitefest. Even so, the distributor on there is a load of crap.

Short term I'm thinking of fitting a second hand, original Lucas and hopefully slightly less fucked distributor. Problem is that mine is 41391 (correct for my engine - 18v780) but there is none of them in decent condition for sale on eBay. There is 41288 that looks in reasonable nick but this is for the 18v584 engine used in MGBs 2 years previously. Ignition Timing on it is very different.

I know that between those years the engine had to be ECE15 certified (emissions), but apart from the timing difference, is there any other physical changes that was done?

Or to put it simply, would that distributor work alright on my engine and be a reasonable temporary replacement? I'm thinking yes, given the crappy repro doesn't have any noted timings and the engine runs alright... (Probably down in power though)

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Last edited by SiC on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

It may be that I'm just insensitive, but I don't think an MGB is too fussy about its distributor. I've spent a bit of time pissing about altering timing curves on A and B series and it's difficult to detect much difference unless you do something drastic.
IMG_20190616_150241941~2.jpg
IMG_20190616_150241941~2.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
The standard curve is wrong for current fuel anyway, but you'd need to be on a dynomometer to do a proper job.
I'm fortunate in living down a very quiet road so I can easily try swapping springs about. My car has the standard cam and when if I floor the throttle at 15 mph in top and it just pulls away smoothly, no stuttering, hesitating (or repetition). Of course this may mean that it is set up hopelessly by some people's standards, but it drives lovely to me.
Spark wise, LPG is fussier than petrol. A teacup would fit better than the misshapen blob of a distributor cap I once foolishly bought off ebay- my local MG garage (Halls) has been at it long enough not to offer that sort of thing.

I had a longish trip this morning and am well pleased with the new springs, though they wouldn't suit everyone. You can feel the axle is free to move more and if you wanted to go properly fast it would need locating better, but it's fine for what I want.
IMG_20190616_150250051~2.jpg
IMG_20190616_150250051~2.jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Last edited by cros on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This is what I'm thinking. The distributor on there literally has no documented curves, so god knows but it runs well. Might get this second hand 25d distributor and give it a go. Cheap enough.

At least it's for the same generation engine (18v). I'm wondering if the timing was changed for emissions reasons (ECE15) but kept most of the internals the same.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

From memory 10 degree type is better for today's fuel- a blob of weld on the 'stop' changes a 15 to a ten easily. Other bodges are available.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Just save your money and buy the Midget off me come August.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Just as an aside. I think the colour suits it.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Just finished another 140 odd mile round trip to the in-laws. Pretty much routine journeys in this now and have the confidence to go pretty much anywhere. Except maybe long motorway journeys - they aren't particularly pleasant in this.

Today was also the longest trip that Mrs SiC has been in the car for. Certainly helped her confidence in it after knowing I have done a few long journeys in it.

The whole journey was pretty uneventful, apart from getting fumey smell in the cabin through the fresh air vents. I think it's because I jammed the Tom's Knob open with a bit of pipe to try help rain drain out of the car - rather than inside the car. I guess fumes from burning oil are getting in. I believe it's why the thing exists on the end in the first place.

Oil consumption is now minimal to none. I think with the dipstick in the right place, that isn't loosing any. Even on a long and steep decline down a hill, I let the engine take the braking and booting at the bottom left no noticeable cloud.

Also let my father-in-law have a good drive of it. Pretty much made his day. Once this season is up, I'll probably let him have it next season.
cros wrote:From memory 10 degree type is better for today's fuel- a blob of weld on the 'stop' changes a 15 to a ten easily. Other bodges are available.
I guess you're talking about the marking on the cam section? Or is that the static timing? Trying to figure out how to determine which is a 10degree type or which.
fried onions wrote:Just save your money and buy the Midget off me come August.
Has the previous owner given his indication he won't be buying it back?

If so, I need to start planning for extra storage! Especially as the house buying lark isn't being very successful at the moment... :|
brandersnatch wrote:Just as an aside. I think the colour suits it.
Proper Marmite colour. I don't mind it and feels very in keeping with the 60/70s nature of the car. However Mrs SiC uncle was trying to be diplomatic on his dislike for the colour.

Looks much better when I first had it and the previous owner gave it a good polish. Something I need to do, as haven't done it since I've owned it. Now mechanically it's pretty much sound, I want to focus on the body. Except it won't bloody well stop raining.