That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SiC wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:04 pm Decent telescopic kits on the front are expensive. I'd go lever arms.

The Leyland way of thinking! :lol:
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Bit of a catch-up on stuff done.

New second hand distributor arrived.

Inside doesn't look too bad. No real play I could feel in it at all.

Points are "worn"

Stripped it right back and cleaned it all out both inside + out. No pictures as I couldn't be arsed to. There's pictures earlier in this thread of a 25d stripped to pieces.

I reassembled with plenty of grease on the moving parts. Had to cross reference with another distributor on which way the drive dog went on. I did mark it, but obviously not hard and clearly enough! I'll know soon enough if it get it the wrong way around.

Attacked some of the more unsightly marks where the paint is peeling off and rusting underneath. Have I ever said that I'm truly shit with paint? I think I have...

Doesn't help the paint isn't a great colour match to what is actually on the body. It matches well on parts that look original paint, but any of the outer parts where its been resprayed before, it's clearly noticeable. However the aim of the game with this is to protect the body so the rust doesn't worsen.

Door

Chipped off loose paint

Sanded

Painted

Wing near headlamp

Sanded

Painted. Already been painted before, so feel less guilty about this being messy.

The drivers side rear wing has had a bad previous repair before. Looks like it's been caught somehow (garage door catch?) and someone has smothered with filler + paint. Looks shit.

Also I caught it the other week when I had the rear wheels off. Underneath the filler is metal. Pretty sure the filler isn't hiding anything nasty, except a dent.

Also I did buy this in the end. I'm really looking forward to fitting it and trying it out!

I naturally find myself changing by holding the gearstick around mid shaft anyway, so I know it isn't too hard to shift. With my elbow on the arm rest, the stock stick feels far too long and uncomfortable.

Right now the car is back in the garage with the Boxster down for a bit. Too nice weather to not have a soft top locked away. It also has a chiller which is looking essential thing with the incoming heat.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Did 285km today and the Sherpa sport + caravan managed to keep above 60 mph except on the long steep bits that seem to be a feature of French roads. Yesterday it got to 36° but today was a big drop to 23 which was probably just as well. After a long spell in the crawler lane the temp gauge starts to move upwards leading me to think that the rad could do with looking at. The oil pressure doesn't drop though, so I don't regret ditching the cooler and imagine it was only supplied as standard to make the car appear more sporting. (Ford took the smarter route and put stripes down the side).
Another thing that will need looking at soon is the diff. Annoyingly I used to have a spare axle but I gave it away as the Salisbury ones are said to be happy to handle much more power than a B series can muster. Unfortunately they also seem prone to developing play in various places and mine sometimes produces a clunk when you let the clutch out, though it is possible to avoid it with a little care. Along with the similar type of axle fitted to LWB Landrovers these have to be distorted out of shape to get the diff assembly out. That might have been useful back when Bedford TK transmissions were routinely nicked for export, but it's hard to see any other good reason.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Funnily enough I was pondering about removing my oil cooler. It's not leaking, but it looks original and I don't fully trust it not to leak in the near future.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

In your case with your oil pressure being a bit up and down I wouldvleave the cooler in place, cooler oil makes better pressure.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Only thing I'd consider is a 'stat kit for the cooler, if it's not got one already. Helps it warm up quicker then.
Private signature, do not read
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Good point. ∆∆∆ Could the pressure relief valve be a culprit?
When I ditched my cooler I used a Sherpa filter head which clears up all the un-needed connections and allows the filter to hang downwards in the proper manner. An MG clubber told me I'd sinned as this takes the smaller and cheaper canister that Minis use. At least there's no possibility of the oil draining down when the car is not used for a while.
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

Good stuff. Paint repairs like that are perfectly fine, nothing wrong with them. The Volvo is like that in one or two places, and the Mazda is like that all over (dodgy respray that I basically need to cut back and polish). They're still in better nick than 95% of cars on the road, as is the MGB!
Watch for pedestrians...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Swapped it back over with the Boxster this evening. Looks like it will be down with me for at least the next two weeks. Then probably another swapsy.

Things needed to be done: Put new second hand distributor in and set static timing, fit short shifter and, as I'll be going to some shows, give a bloody good polish. Currently got that cloudy look that you get with cellulose paint when it hasn't been polished for a while. I hate polishing cars but it really needs doing. Haven't done it in all the time I've owned it...!

Any recommendations on polish that can easily be worked by hand? Also I guess I ought to wax it after too? I'm not great on this detailing lark.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Oh and she seems to be running a bit grumpy again this evening. Idle sounds and feels like a misfire - a lot more so than usual. Not sure if it's the sparking plugs getting coked up from running rich or the cheapy crappy distributor being crap with timing. Or one causing the other.

I'll change the distributor and leads over to see if it makes any difference. Failing that, try cleaning the plugs up too. I think I need to have a tweak on the mixture again as well. Tempted to get my local, classic friendly garage to give the carb mixture a once over.