Stroppy Old Tart, or the story of a Triumph Bonneville

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Stroppy Old Tart, or the story of a Triumph Bonneville

Post by Hooli »

Progress has been made, finally.

new sludgetrap fitted & the bung holepunched to lock it in place, I threadlocked it too but this is the correct way to do so it so belt & braces.
IMG_20210207_130244.jpg
IMG_20210207_130244.jpg (416.37 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
I polished the conrods last night & then wrapped them in rags so they don't get dinged against the crankcase throat before the pistons & barrels are fitted. New bigend bolts & shells used for assembly.
IMG_20210207_142933.jpg
IMG_20210207_142933.jpg (429.82 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
A thin line of Threebond 1215 as suggested by various people who get paid to build these was applied to the gasketless seal between the case halves.
IMG_20210207_144809.jpg
IMG_20210207_144809.jpg (678.71 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
The cases went together fine, when first nipping the bolts up the crank locked but I expected that as the washer behind the timing side bearing never lines up on it's own. But a quick poke with a screwdriver pops it into place once the crank is there. The offending washer is now hidden behind the crank sprocket.
IMG_20210207_154334.jpg
IMG_20210207_154334.jpg (605.36 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
I had to stop at this point for various reasons -

1) I haven't cleaned & painted the barrels yet so I wasn't putting them & the pistons on till that's done.
b) I didn't realise the full gasket kit didn't include the oil seals, I never thought to ask. So I can't fit the gearbox yet.
iii) I've lost my crank locking tool so can't time the cams.

So I'll have to order a few more bits to carry on. I'm not painting the barrels till it's warm enough outside, I can do without the whole house smelling of paint if I did it in the kitchen.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Great stuff.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Nice one. Keep it up.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Two things relating to this arrived in the post today.

The V5 with the correct colour on it again.

The next lot of parts I need, the oil seals, uprated Morgo oil pump & the special tool to lock the crank at TDC & 35 BTDC, so I can time the cams & the ignition when I get that far.

I've realised this week I never got around to ordering a 2BA helicoil kit, so I'll have to do that soon as it's needed for the timing cover. The hole that's stripped is for locating the points base plate.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Are you fitting a remote oil filter kit? I had one (and an oil cooler and Morgo pump) on mine and it made me feel much happier than the archaic system as standard. Still used to change the oil at weekly intervals mind... Not really :)

The filter kits use the spin on canister from a 2CV!
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

xtriple wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:37 pm Are you fitting a remote oil filter kit? I had one (and an oil cooler and Morgo pump) on mine and it made me feel much happier than the archaic system as standard. Still used to change the oil at weekly intervals mind... Not really :)

The filter kits use the spin on canister from a 2CV!
Yup, I've already got the filter kit. It was fitted before & will be going back on. Lots of places are saying don't bother with an oil cooler so I won't as once I'd sorted it out badly last time it never seemed to overheat.

It'll be going a bit richer too as I always thought it was a little lean previously, hard to tell when the timing kept drifting though. Bit I'll go up from the 220 mains to 240s before the carbs are refitted & see how it goes from there.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

When I bought my new Amals from Williams *not the wanker in Newton abbot!)the old guy that has now sadly retired, suggested the same, i.e. up one size on the jets, so I did.

I had a thermostatically controlled cooler on mine, it did used to get hot but then it was quite tuned and got ridden a lot harder than 'proper people thought an old lady of her delicate years should be! I loved that bike!
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I don't plan to ride this one very hard that often, it feels cruel on such an old machine even if it's freshly built. If it does seem to be getting to hot, I've not ruled out an oil cooler in future.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Mine was a snarly old monster that LOVED going fast! It really did, a proper character that bike had, hated being behind cars and was very averse to trundling around. Never used to rev it to the blood (too much vibration!) but the midrange got exercised regularly :)
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Yeah I'm building this for midrange and it always used to love being used properly.

Little things like slightly advancing the intake cam by about six degrees is meant to boost the midrange, so that's getting done.