1968 Austin 1100 Mk1 (Take 2)

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: 1968 Austin 1100 Mk1 (Take 2) - Delivered but currently rough running :(

Post by mercrocker »

Pageant Blue you mean? Yeah, pretty close but this looks a bit warmer, more purple-y. I always lose any argument with Mrs Rocker over colours so I think I will dip out of this! I have seen the shade somewhere before, though!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

I like it in the pictures, it looks nice. Much better than the contemporary palette.

When that was new you had the choice of:

Dirty White
Shit Brown
Dog Vomit Beige
Nasty Green
Pillarbox Red

... and a few others
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Could be Ford Electric Monza blue. Certainly not Pageant blue, could be Tahiti.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Someone on AS suggested Tahiti Blue
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

do not head down the spin on filter adapters route! nasty stories about the inner o-ring not sealing and allowing oil to bypass the filter. gah, cheap chinese made shit! Then (I did this) when you first replace the filter the adaptor comes loose but you didn't realise until you dump all your new oil on the driveway and road. Then you have to trash a brand new filter to get it off the adaptor so you can refit it to the engine. And still have the risk of unfiltered oil! Fuck you cheapo shit engineered upgrades that actually put you back 100 years in automotive technology. Ahhhh thats better

Buy paper filers and install them into the metal bowl, not a difficult and not that messy really
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
richardthestag

Re: "New" Car Inbound

Post by richardthestag »

SiC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:17 pm These are cheap points. Contacts look burnt out to me. I suspect usually crappy condenser with these things. Going to have a root around to see if I can find a decent one out of my MGB bits. Almost certainly got a spare set somewhere in this unsorted* garage...

* What I really should be sorting right now, rather than car stuff!
oooh 24d Lusas Dizzy, also used on 1,000,000 other cars and Landie Series IIa. Get in touch with Distributor Doctor for parts than might actually still work next week :lol:
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

SiC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:06 pm
Got a home brewed job that I used on the purple one. Just waiting for some fibre washers to arrive so I can fix it. Still got some fluid left thankfully.

Going to build up a list for a trip to Moss tomorrow. Need to think of what we need essentials at home first. Missus already has given me grief for buying yet another car that has arrived broken. 🤦

Thinking carb rebuild kit (o-rings, jet, gaskets, etc), oil, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, fuel and anything else I can think of. To be honest most of that should be here apart from carb kit. 🤔

Not a spin on filter for these. I assume I clean the mesh out?

Worth converting to spin-on? Iirc merccrocker had problems with modern adapter kits.
SU Carbs can be fixed with hammers, jetset is underneath and connects to the float bowl. however there are o-rings that sit inbetween and can rot out over time. If the needle is not ridged and the jetset still moves I would go for gaskets and get it running before spending more money. The fact that it runs, even though badly, suggests this should be fixeable. Fresh fuel does wonders.

When it is idling spay easystart around the carb base, throttle butterfly etc. If revs go up then carb is likely needing a rebuild or the gasket to the manifold is tired.

Like the colour, did I say that before. These cars are like an expensive but sharp suit, like the B-GT. Like em both 👍😎
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Points and condenser replaced. Bonus footage of me rambling along with some shit.
[youtube][/youtube]

Still not running great. Better once warmed up and air filter on. Tempted to just chuck a service or rebuild kit at the carb. At least only one to do on these!

I've got tomorrow off and next week off too. So plenty of time to tinker with it. Got to find something to do. :D
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I quite like this lowered "stance" look. Even if utterly impractical and crap to drive.

Just need to fix this when the parts come for it.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Liquid leavers?

When I worked in a Rover dealer, the look of horror on the fitter's faces when a Mini came in running rough...no body could cope with points or a carb.