1968 Austin 1100 Mk1 (Take 2)

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1968 Austin 1100 Mk1 (Take 2)

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:16 pm I knew the charge rate was low, but can you not alter the pulley size to give the max charge rate at a lower rpm? I'm assuming you aren't planning on long motorway stints in it so over revving the dynamo probably wouldn't be an issue.
Despite their reputation, the Lucas engineers were pretty darn good at what they did. This is from one of their documents detailing the operating principles behind generators.
Screenshot_20200808-232901.png
Screenshot_20200808-232901.png (783.08 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
I probably could put a different pulley on, but it would be quite tricky to get one that is a little faster on it while not being too much. Probably have to get one custom machined. However after testing the box today on the car, it's pretty much bang on the money for cutin and out. Possibly needs tweaking a little downwards as cut-in happens about the 1.5k mark. But for now I'm content with that until I get a few miles onto it. Around here there are virtually no traffic lights, so for pottering around it's a bit of a muchness to begin with.

There is no ammeter or anything like that on the car and is something I'm quite keen to add in the near future. Likewise a rev counter would be a nice thing given these engines aren't the happiest revving units.

Probably get a three 52mm gauges (ammeter, rev and oil pressure) and fit it where the ashtray used to be. A bit giffer-trinket-tastic, but useful info to know if you want to keep the life of the engine at its longest.
DodgeRover wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:16 pm Now the perverse side of me would actually like to fit a home brew fuel injection set up with the caveat that I knew how it functioned and how to repair it to. A certain furry person from the beige mentioned on RR he was planning to fit fuel injection to one of those infidel cars using over the counter parts designed for converting motorcycles
I've contemplated it on the MGB. You can get Weber shaped injection units but they're not particularly cheap. Contain the bare basics like idle stepper, throttle position sensor, fuel regulator and intake temp sensor which is enough to make an open loop injection system. Not as efficient as a closed loop system but still much better than a carb, while staying simple. Remember most pre 2005 cars with a traditional Lambda will run open loop until that warms up.

However I would miss having the choke. Also I like the pure mechanical simplicity with the cleverness of design from an SU carb. It also reminds me what little you need to make an engine run and how badly it can be out for it still to run quite well!
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

To me using the choke is a small part of the driving pleasure of the MGB, just like using the overdrive.
It can also help at times if the engine is 'playing up' to help get you home.

We've got a couple of modern Skodas if I want efficient and characterless driving.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Just come back from a jolly little drive. Next time I'll try to remember bringing my phone mount so you can come along for the ride too. Not far but I didn't get out until late as no sleepy in this heat. Didn't watch the gauges but I haven't seen the temp gauge move from this point once warmed up. I'm not confident on the fuel gauge accuracy. I've had it run out when it was reading half way between empty and quarter. Did put another 10l in from a can to make sure it had plenty.

Experience of hydrolastic was a bit odd. Felt like riding on a waterbed. Steering is a bit clonky. I wouldn't be surprised if it's those bushes as someone on AS has previously mentioned. Also need to get some new grease nipples so I can get a decent amount of gunk into the ball joints. Think also the front pads aren't moving too freely. I can hear rubbing on the front end when rolling along. I've mentioned previously on here that the pads were biting and holding the front wheels despite no pressure on the pedal.

It brought a lot of happy faces on a bunch of old biddies faces as they (literally) rolled into the church. Someone else in a parsing Zarifa B gave a lovely complement as I passed after he pulled in.

This little car seems to bring a lot of happiness to face of the over 50s.

I'll try going out possibly later tonight when the manic holiday traffic around here dies down a bit.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I think you mean over 70's maybe as I am in my 50's and have no affection for them at all as they were bloody awful things and no one would ever say they actually wanted a 1100 or anything else from the BL stable. The Allegro was pretty shit but I would of had one over an 1100 any day.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

I like seeing any old car on the road, but like panhard, as an 'old biddy' in my 50s, i never liked these. The people who did drive them are pretty much all dead now, like my great auntie May. She used to slip the clutch like hell on that poor 1100.

I too would point and smile if you drove passed me though, as I like seeing any old stuff on the road.

I was in convoy with an e type once and it was my allegro that got all the attention! They were probably laughing but who cares.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Unlike panhard65 and Drum, I like and had a couple of these (and others from the BL stable) and their preference of Leggies over the 1100 is absolutely mind boggling. The cunts are sick in the head!

With BL tin, I draw the line at Maxis. Allegros and Princesses can get in the sea and any sane person would concur.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Could also be a certain amount of intrigue.

Also despite being nearly mid thirties, I look in my mid twenties. Not the typical expected demographic in an 1100 you expect to see buzzing around the back lanes on a Sunday morning.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Is that what your missus told you just before she owned up to scratching the car? :D
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Do you know the lengths BL went to in order to make the Allegro a vastly superior car?
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

fried onions wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:14 pm Do you know the lengths BL went to in order to make the Allegro a vastly superior car?
Fifty quids worth?