Highway Code consultation

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bunglebus

Re: Highway Code consultation

Post by bunglebus »

This bit

"At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning."

is interesting - as I understood it currently, if you are turning from a major to a minor road, vehicles have right of way, but approaching a junction from a minor to a major road (where you'd have to stop anyway), pedestrians should be allowed to cross in front of you.

That's what I do anyway, otherwise I can see rear end collisions happening if you stop on a main road instead of turning as expected.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

The into which you are turning reads to me that you have to stop when turning into a minor road too. Which is an utterly stupid idea that'll cause no end of accidents.
Private signature, do not read
Bangernomics

Highway Code consultation

Post by Bangernomics »

panhard65 wrote:Any filtering down the N/S should not be allowed and why cyclists would want to do it when they know how dangerous it is for them. There have been enough cyclists squashed due to lorry drivers not being able to see them. You also have people pull up to let passengers out who cannot see a push bike coming as the mirror will be set for the driver. I will allways stay close to the curb when queing to try and stop push bikes sneaking up there. They have no insurance so if they scrape your car there is bugger all you can do. If they want to give cyclists more rights then make them have insurance and some form of licence if they want to share the road.
I’d make an exception and pedal round the outside of you of course. Your hugging the curb would just piss me off though as if there’s a line of 50 cars all stationary in rush hour where do you want me to go? In another car sat in front of you stationary?

The minority of cyclists are the problem and cycling and motorcycling in general is the solution if the roads and its users are aware of each other and the rules as we take up less space so way easier than adding capacity.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

The thing is though the 50 odd cars overtake the cyclist all giving plenty of room. Then said cyclist goes down the inside of the same 50 odd cars every set of lights again and again. It just adds so many extra oppertunities to knock the poor sod off his bike. There has been a small fortune spent on cycle lanes which for safety is where they should be. It seems to be that they want to make everything more dangerous just to reduce speeds. There is nothing wrong with the highway code as it is but it seems a chunk of it doesn't apply to an ever increasing number of cyclists and pedestrians.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Sadly your vision of the 50 odd cars being caring and courteous whilst overtaking leaves a slight reality gap between that and my experience in the situation.

I think we have differences in opinions and that’s wonderful. There are an awful lot of dickheads on bikes though and I despair of them too.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Hooli wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:24 am The into which you are turning reads to me that you have to stop when turning into a minor road too. Which is an utterly stupid idea that'll cause no end of accidents.
Odd, that's the rule here. If you are changing from road A to road B (not often the type, style or size or road is taken into consideration) then any pedestrian with a foot in the crosswalk has right of way.

Same with traffic lights- common here is light controlled crossroads, pedestrian can cross the street that's on red and have right of way over vehicles turning into that street.

Yes, it causes accidents. No, it's not particularly sensible but given the width of most roads and the fact pedestrians are only allowed to cross a two lane highway where they have a marked crosswalk (usually at a junction) it begins to make sense- as a driver you can expect to see people crossing only at intersections.

Here, you set foot on the street outside of a crosswalk and you're jaywalking. If plod sees you, it's an immediate fine for endangering yourself and other road users.

Imagine if that was actually enforced there, rather than peds swarming all over the streets like they seem to like to.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Alf892

Post by Alf892 »

What pisses me off is the fact that vehicles are advised to allow plenty of room....I think it is about a yard. Even then some of the cunts give you a shake of the head. Yet when they come up the inside the safe distance has gone done to about an inch.

As for letting them go up the inside......fucking stupid notion. All that will lead to is easier prosecutions for the lazy coppers as vehicle drivers will be more easily blamed for squashing the daft cunts because the Highway Code says so. It isn't law but breaking it can see you culpable for an accident. Better bring out a Cyclist' Code making them responsible for themselves.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

I've got no interest in legislating commuter or leisure cyclists but when riding one as a commercial enterprise that's another matter. I can't recall EVER seeing a Deliveroo bike stop at a red light. As far as they're concerned the best route is how the crow flies regardless of one way streets and pedestrianised areas.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

PhilA wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:10 pm
Hooli wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:24 am The into which you are turning reads to me that you have to stop when turning into a minor road too. Which is an utterly stupid idea that'll cause no end of accidents.
Odd, that's the rule here. If you are changing from road A to road B (not often the type, style or size or road is taken into consideration) then any pedestrian with a foot in the crosswalk has right of way.
Crosswalk equals pedestrian crossing I think?

If so, once on it they've got right of way here these days too. I'm referring to people just wandering out in front of traffic without looking as they've got 'right of way', they are going to get splatted. Whatever happened to the sensible old advice of moving away from junctions to cross the road as driver's will find it easier to see you as they aren't as busy.
Private signature, do not read
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Hooli wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:29 amCrosswalk equals pedestrian crossing I think?

If so, once on it they've got right of way here these days too. I'm referring to people just wandering out in front of traffic without looking as they've got 'right of way', they are going to get splatted. Whatever happened to the sensible old advice of moving away from junctions to cross the road as driver's will find it easier to see you as they aren't as busy.
Yes. However that started life as a city rule in the 1920's and was never revoked. The roads were chaos and adding random pedestrians into the mix didn't help vehicles with crappy brakes being driven as fast as they'd go in a city environment.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag