Experimental 60mph Motorway Speed Limit

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
NorfolkNWeigh

Re: Experimental 60mph Motorway Speed Limit

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

I don’t take any notice of the 70 limit, so why would I obey the 60 ?

Saying that, it seems Essex have got their “smart” cameras set to 70 when there’s not a lower limit in force. Most of the country , slowing down to 80ish for the cameras is safe enough. This will mean more people slamming their brakes on at every gantry, when 95% of them have no camera.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

treehugger wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:21 am Yep overtaking a truck at 57 will be a drag if you can only do 60.
The whole of the Scottish road network appears to be that way. Find a safe stretch to over-take a lard riddled local and you'll get flashed by a scamera. the newer stuff measures your average speed over a set distance, which is clearly safer that fixing atrocious road surfaces or unblocking drains.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

And good luck over taking a coach, van or caravan. Because both have a theoretical 60mph limit.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Nah the coach limit is 70mph on motorways, but they must be fitted with a 62mph limiter....

As to the 60 limit, it's a fucking stupid retarded idea & can only exist to piss off drivers even more than currently to try & force them on to impractical & shite pubic transport. Motorway limits should be nearer 100mph, with traffic cops for poor & dangerous driving.
Private signature, do not read

Post by Guest »

I think we already have this bollocks on bits of the M4 near Newport and Swansea. Along with signs saying "Pollution kills slow down" I do not particularly want to slow down in the pollution in case it kills me, I'd rather get through it as quickly as possible and hold my breath.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I'm sure I've seen it before too, maybe near Glasgow. As if that place could get worse with a tiny bit of harmless pollution.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

The other thing to bear in mind, of course, is that the present 70mph limit began as an "experiment" #sillymoocouldn'tdriveacar
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

I would make the speed 'limit' 100mph; I would also find appropriate measures to ban approx a third of current registered 'drivers'
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

mercrocker wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:56 am The other thing to bear in mind, of course, is that the present 70mph limit began as an "experiment" #sillymoocouldn'tdriveacar
A three month experiment to reduce accidents, that increased the accident rate. So obviously they decided it was a good idea & kept it in the name of safety*.

A few years ago when I got stopped for slightly* over 70mph on the A38 I found out the correct wording for a ticket is still 'exceeding the temporary speed limit'.
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Why the roads are shit enough, going slower when it’s empty seems a ridiculous idea. Why not have limits defined by conditions. So night/day/fog/rain etc.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.