Why Do You Drive That?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: Why Do You Drive That?

Post by PhilA »

We always had automotive porridge as a family, that didn't change much- mk1 and mk2 Fiestas, an Audi 80, A4 and a smattering of more modern tat.
I enjoyed seeing the cars I grew up with on the streets, mainly 50's through early 80's so I tend to pick my cars accordingly.
By the early 2000's all cars had ended up sounding the same, with the advent of fuel injection and computer design.
Gone were the recognizable sounds, like Minis and Minors with the A series, Ford with the Valencia, Kent and Pinto, each with their own recognizable exhaust note, anything Vauxhall that had that buzz of the 1256, Toyota and Datsun that sounded like smoother versions of Fords.. then overnight that all fell silent and catalytic and smooth and common rail diesel dull.

I've had some bland modern stuff but as a child I always wanted something powered by an inline 8 (dunno why just the entire concept was an agreeable notion) and also to own a car that would light up the rear wheels if you sneezed while having your foot on the accelerator. The Challenger fulfils that.

So, a hark back to the fifties and seventies, interesting paint colors, something with an interesting engine and another with a huge engine. As noted above they all have a particular sound.
The Challenger just has that big V8 burble, the Renault has a buzzing snarl. The Chieftain has a very interesting warble to it and it course is quite random when it idles in that flathead small-bore-long-stroke post-war way, much like anything Austin was churning out through the sixties and seventies. Even the Jeep has a nice V6 note to it when you wind it up.
Some cars here have retained an interesting sound but most are strangled down to the sound of the tires. America grew up with the V8 and the thrum you get with Chevrolet's firing order, so that's quite ingrained into the psyche of anybody who's interested in cars here.

But, thinking about it- yes, my driveway has my Matchbox collection in 1:1 on it. That's why, I think.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

The cars I’ve got at the moment were forced on me by circumstance; ie need a car for work - the E Class ,or need a family friendly do everything and I can use for jobs at a push- the ML. The CLK which hasn’t been used for a few years solely because it looks scruffy and Mrs doesn’t want to be seen in a scruffy convertible. The e30 is currently legal but still more a driveway ornament , than anything else.

But. Once I accept my old business is gone and sell the E Class as I don’t need £8/9000 worth of modern diesel Merc to drive to a McJob and Mrs N wants a BMW 6 series cabriolet now we don’t need a work backup or family car. Things might change- I quite fancy running the CLK everyday- maybe with odd coloured panels or some riveted Jap look black arches and some big wheels, after all it’s only done 60k and will go forever. Is 57 too old to drive a rat look Merc?
So anybody want a 2011 ML350 CDi or a 2014 E220 CDi would swap both for a manual 911- did I mention I might be looking for one of them too- perfect to drive to minimum wage slavery.
The thought of driving something because I want too is liberating but a bit daunting.
I always judge people by their choice of car and assume others do too.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

That Fiesta warble is stuck inside my head forever! The Ka has it too, the Focus too I think. Of course that Minor gearchange, the distinctive rasp of a Fiat twin cam, the Rover V8, the Stag, the fart of a redblock Volvo, the musical arpeggio of a 2CV driving away.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I also remember that elusive Beetle twin-pipe "whistle" (people left fucking things alone back then) and Triumph Heralds had their own sound....so did the P6 Rover 4 pots. A summer sound I will always remember is that of big-tyred Land Rovers on a hot road. And who could forget clackety Chrysler Alpines? I was pleased to discover that our Focus has a sound, it is only there about 3500 rpm upwards but quite distinctive....

Another sound, though, that seems to have passed is that of an air-cooled two-stroke twin or 3 cylinder bike being red-lined in every gear - KH250s, GT Suzukis, pre-LC RD Yams, etc. Gone the way of axle-tramping wheelspins from low-geared RWD cars on full chat, I suppose.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Every car has a sound, even modern ones. Just many modern ones are fake and some also need to be doing speeds that will land you in jail before you hear them.

Wait till electric cars are common place. The only noise then will be the difference between a Michelin, Dunlop or a Nankang.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I reckon they should be made to have Spokey Dokeys so you can hear 'em coming....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Playing cards in the edge of the vented discs
Private signature, do not read
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

mercrocker wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:30 pm I also remember that elusive Beetle twin-pipe "whistle" (people left fucking things alone back then) and Triumph Heralds had their own sound....so did the P6 Rover 4 pots. A summer sound I will always remember is that of big-tyred Land Rovers on a hot road. And who could forget clackety Chrysler Alpines? I was pleased to discover that our Focus has a sound, it is only there about 3500 rpm upwards but quite distinctive....

Another sound, though, that seems to have passed is that of an air-cooled two-stroke twin or 3 cylinder bike being red-lined in every gear - KH250s, GT Suzukis, pre-LC RD Yams, etc. Gone the way of axle-tramping wheelspins from low-geared RWD cars on full chat, I suppose.
Never been sure with beetles how much of that unmistakable sound is the engine or fan or mechanical sounds of pushrods.
I managed to get the Datsun to perform a pretty extreme wheelspin in Lidl car park recently, 70 horses in a very light car weighted strongly to the front on a greasy car park- a timely reminder that you can't take any liberties whatsover in that variety of car on rain sodden or snowy roads. I must get on and get the Saab on the road as it promises to be the exact opposite!
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

My mother reckons by the age of five I could tell what car was coming without looking.
The electric fuckers should have a bell, a bit like a leper on the front of them. I've been caught out once or twice by them. I must use hearing as much as sight to cross the road.
And I'm sure the drivers creep up on purpose just to see the expression on your face as you shit yourself.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Our office freak* has a hybrid Auris, well all refer to the fully electric mode as his peado kerb crawling button.

*He was caught sniffing office chairs & somehow got away with it.
Private signature, do not read