Classic BMWs

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
NorfolkNWeigh

Re: Classic BMWs

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

I’ve driven loads of these when they were new and owned a few as bangers, never driven one that didn’t instantly “ say” BMW as soon as you sat in it, from 518 carb to 535iSE they all smell the same have that almost vintage sit up and beg driving position and just feel solid.
I seriously considered this as a stablemate for our same colour e30 316i, but it would have taken all my spare car buying cash, at the moment and I’m supposed to be buying stuff to sell on for a profit , but hopefully when you get bored with it, it might be a different story.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Had a 528i auto. Lovely car but the interior let it down. Grim inside.
OMG U OK HUN?
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Are they 'hewn from granite'?
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

No that's Mercs.
Private signature, do not read
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

No that only applies to W124 Mercs, I think Mercedes have it patented.

Saying that I wrote off a Mercedes S Class ( W116 450SEL) with a 525eta in 1985. The BMW was repaired, the Merc scrapped. More to do with the 5 being brand new and the Merc 10 years old though.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I just added up all the E28’s I had. It’s a lot.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:47 pm I had one (I think), was decent to drive and reasonable on fuel on a long run.
I wish it had the 525/528/535i engine in, even if they used more fuel! But then I'm not a rich man.
fried onions wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 pm Ah, these are nice cars. Dibs when you sell please.
You know these contain the dirty words of Electronic Fuel Injected right?! Admittedly it's an analogue ECU.
The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:07 pm Cambelts are very easy. 2 hours at a canter.

Front legs are £800 each new. :shock: Yes.

Brakes; the cross linkage from pedal box to master cylinder is seized and wants stripping and greasing.
Was looking through a few cambelt guides for the E30 and it doesn't look too bad. Loads of room in front of the engine. Didn't read anything about how to lock the crank and cam though? Presumably you just have to keep checking positions as it's put back together. Then double check after tensioning and then a few turns over.

The car is a bit scruffy up top tbh. Lacquer has done that thing where it's broken up looking like it's scratched. Looks it might have had a respray back in the day. Needs a good polish. Passenger side protective rubber door trim has a bunch of screws holding it on (!). Arches are there but dirty behind and the rear is nearly at the stage they risk going but they should be saveable if treated soon.

Underneath though is in really surprisingly good condition. There are a few MOT patches on the sills and leg but nothing too bad. The floor pans look original with the original undercoating. Steve said there was some welding needed in the passenger arch. Looking at it, it's about a fingernail sized hole. Nice easy to plate that. Tbh cleaning up the rust and a rubber bung in it then say it's a wax injection point 😆

Maybe I'm just too used to looking under 60/70s BL stuff?

Oh... those welded spring carriers on the struts. I know it's a no no, but its actually has been done really well. It hasn't just been welded back on but also strengthener plates and fillets welded to the bottom as well. Replacement is on the cards but will be pushed down the list initially.
NorfolkNWeigh wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:42 pm I’ve driven loads of these when they were new and owned a few as bangers, never driven one that didn’t instantly “ say” BMW as soon as you sat in it, from 518 carb to 535iSE they all smell the same have that almost vintage sit up and beg driving position and just feel solid.
I seriously considered this as a stablemate for our same colour e30 316i, but it would have taken all my spare car buying cash, at the moment and I’m supposed to be buying stuff to sell on for a profit , but hopefully when you get bored with it, it might be a different story.
It's definitely going to need some money spending on it. Belts for start but also needs a good service.

Interior needs a good clean and unfortunately had smokers in. Thankfully not too bad but I'm probably going to have to get a O-Zone defogger in it. Seat bolster is scruffy on the drivers side. I'll probably sow a patch in but I guess I'm going to struggle finding a match.

Speedo doesn't work. A spare has been provided but doesn't work either. Usually leaky NiCads. But has taken out the PCB traces. So will require a bit of electronics soldering work. I believe the board for the service lights can be bypassed so it doesn't need to be in, to allow the Speedo work?

All DIY'able but if done professionally would end up costing a decent wodge.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Don't these come fitted with metric wheels and tyres?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

If I was a half decent admin I'd move this to our Motorised Conveyances section.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Warren t claim wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:05 am If I was a half decent admin I'd move this to our Motorised Conveyances section.
But that would be excessive moderation.
Private signature, do not read