Ford focus mk1

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: The van. Hello Dylan.

Post by bub2006 »

I can't see point in doing bike test on an auto. I'd never afford an auto bike and I'd never have a pillion either. I won't be touring abroad or the UK as family means no.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Only reason I see is a maxi-scoot, they are getting older so might be cheaper now? I know the Honda Silverwing goes up to about 650cc?
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Burgman 650 too. It is a thought. Quite a few 250 and 300 Yamaha and Honda's about
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Hooli wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 am I'm not sure how that applies to 'semi auto/clutch-less manuals' like DCT though.
It's quite clear. No clutch. Not manual. (or have a clutch, but no means of varying the gear ratio independently of the accelerator and the brakes)

As defined by the MV(DL)R 1999:
“vehicle with automatic transmission" means a class of vehicle in which either—
(a)the driver is not provided with any means whereby he may vary the gear ratio between the engine and the road wheels independently of the accelerator and the brakes, or
(b)he is provided with such means but they do not include a clutch pedal or lever which he may operate manually,
(and accordingly a vehicle with manual transmission is any other class of vehicle);
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Ta, I knew it was defined somewhere but I'd never bothered to look it up.
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

bub2006 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:10 am Sadly I found a major flaw the other day. In stop start traffic or filtering slowly my left hand is useless at clutch control.
An old workmate of mine was a "one-armed bandit". He crashed a bike years ago and whilst he still had his left arm, it wasn't much use strength-wise. Like me, he was a despatch rider. He was no slouch through traffic on his NTV when I tried to catch up with him a few times heading out from Paddington on the A40.

His clutch was mounted on the right, below the brake lever, as were his indicators. A bit easier when it's a cable clutch but wouldn't be impossible to do with hydraulics. He also had his Fireblade set up like that. The mod didn't cost him much and nobody else could (easily) ride it after conversion, but he'd just re-learnt how to do both with one hand to the point of perfection.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

There were a couple of one armed couriers. The scruffy bloke on an MZ who later had a Hondamatic Dream 400 and another bloke on a Yamaha XJ900, he wasn’t around for too long. Hondamatic man was around for years.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Partner is an ot and has told me that you only need one working limb to drive a car and it doesn't matter which. All the controls can be adapted to suit. I've always argued you can't tell me they have full control of it or the reaction speeds required. I usually lose so normally pipe down.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

I'd love an hondamatic dream but doubt I'd find a decent one these days.
Paul,I use a steering ball in the van. More for low speed manoeuvres. Because the Mrs drives the mini on occasion I'm not allowed one in it. I have limited grip in left hand and left leg. The van tends to lend itself to being down on the clutch rather than forward if you know what I mean. Also it pulls away in secomd or in first can just lift clutch in slow moving traffic. If I'm having bad day though I use the mini. Really bad days I just don't drive. The bike was meant to be a little toy. Something I can bat around the lanes on butbifbi can't enjoy it there is no point keeping it. That's why I've gone automatic. In all honesty when the van goes it will highly likely be replaced with an automatic people carrier like a galaxy,Chrysler voyager,Vauxhall zafira or Kia Sedona.
Seeing as my friendly mechanic now has a garage and storage a ew10 2.0 petrol engine with auto box from sometjing like a picasso has been spoken of but it's a big conversion. Lots of fabricating,wiring and general fucking about.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Honda NC700's can be had as an auto, they are getting cheap now too.
CBA