Ford focus mk1

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: I'm turning Japanese I really think so.

Post by DodgeRover »

bub2006 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:15 pm Well this has gone to shit. Small bit of corrosion in the boot so at garage to address it. Small corrosion turned into a massive hole. While on the ramps the little bit of external bubbling on front sill has proven to be internal corrosion as the weight of the car on the 2 poster has concertined the sill and bowed the floor pan. The front wing as also bulged out so guess corrosion on the a pillar.
Why do people try lifting on the sills, they aren't designed to take the vehicles weight when they're new!
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:50 pm
bub2006 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:15 pm Well this has gone to shit. Small bit of corrosion in the boot so at garage to address it. Small corrosion turned into a massive hole. While on the ramps the little bit of external bubbling on front sill has proven to be internal corrosion as the weight of the car on the 2 poster has concertined the sill and bowed the floor pan. The front wing as also bulged out so guess corrosion on the a pillar.
Why do people try lifting on the sills, they aren't designed to take the vehicles weight when they're new!
Thats the only way a 2 poster can lift really. Used day in day out by numerous cars at different garages but it's typically happened to me.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Jazoli wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:28 pm Old Japanese car in corrosion shock horror!

I really don't know why you bother with old shit Bub, you have a terrible track record with cars through mostly no fault of your own.
Thanks for mostly no fault of my own. I really appreciate that comment. I tend to buy at low prices and I have just accepted these things will happen. 1 day I might strike lucky but here's to wishful thinking.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:23 pm
Whatever that is it sounds like it's totally fucked then? :shock:
My avensis I bought last week. Wanted to remedy the small bit of corrosion before winter but it's all gone tits up.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

And on top of this my fucking finger is taped up due to a slip of the grinder cutting my finger clean down the edg of the nail from tip of finger to joint below nail.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

bub2006 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:17 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:23 pm
Whatever that is it sounds like it's totally fucked then? :shock:
My avensis I bought last week. Wanted to remedy the small bit of corrosion before winter but it's all gone tits up.
:-( I'm with Dodge on the not lifting on the sills unless it's a virtually brand new car. I used to help out a mate at his garage and he'd never lift directly off the sills on his two post, always used suspension mounts etc at the very least if at all possible. If you absolutely had to a piece of wood was used to spread the weight.
If it was as bad as it sounds it seems it may have done you a favour? If it was that bad you don't want to be driving it tbh and certainly not have a bump in it.
As for grinders, a proper welding gauntlet on you left hand isn't a bad idea, you don't need one on the hand holding the grinder. At least you've still got the end on your finger!
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

It's on the hand that was doing grinding. My left hand grip and dexterity is shite due to disability but I somehow managed it.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

What Scruffy said is the only safe way to lift, sills just aren't made to take the weight of the vehicle other than in an emergency on the jacking point and even then it's only taking a quarter of the weight of the vehicle if that.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

FFS, that's just your luck Bub.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:43 pm What Scruffy said is the only safe way to lift, sills just aren't made to take the weight of the vehicle other than in an emergency on the jacking point and even then it's only taking a quarter of the weight of the vehicle if that.
To be fair I tend to agree,I don't use a jack on sills either but many garages do use a 2 poster that way so I'm harbouring no Ill against him. Every garage I've been over years use the same way as well