The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Post by 8BAK465 »

Warren t claim wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:54 pm fev1.PNG

I'm disappointed that you didn't buy an early Ford Econoline instead.

As an eleven year old watching any episode of CHiPs the sight of one appearing on screen was great news because it was certain to get rolled.
Tried a engine under seat jobby played havoc with my back the bus like driving position :roll:
Was really considering a Gen2 Econoline like Ironside van.

Look amazing outside but the engine doghouse cuts off your legs.or you might as well have them cut off :?

Dodge was the best compromise for driving position,legroom and widest van for bedroom across the rear wheels :mrgreen:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

DodgeRover wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:30 pm Right you've had all weekend have you had a drive in it yet? The nice van has got someone for it but there's another one coming in I have asked about.
I think he moves his stock quickly,he has had nicer ones but though my doors are grotty id rather have a solid van on the cheap and get it right,I viewed a mint looking one in October twice the price less to do but had service mechanical issues if id of bought it id of had no money left to put it right :cry:

So ive gone cheap!

Yes I need to sort out the doors and paint but if I do all the bits it will be the same price as the nice one but how I want it ;)

Not had time to drive it as its still not registered and Sam has gone back to work after 9 months illness so mad shifts and not enough hours in day :(

Concentrating on gutting and cleaning first so I have a clean base to go on from :mrgreen:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Today I pulled on my favourite gloves donned my respirator and got pulling more sound deadening!

The stuff on the side walls came off easy enough it was only 1 layer

Sadly the the stuff in the side cargo doors is horrendous its 2 layers and stuck on with concrete I think?

The rear doors had damp in them so the fact the adhesive had become damp that come out easy 🙂
but revealed a few nasty surprises 🙁

The rear door keeps jamming because it turns out the door has become bent because over the years it was forced because of the sticking lock 🤬

And the rods from the lock to the key barrel the retainers are broke and it was only the sound deadening (now removed) that was keeping them in! Which means every time you close the rear door they fall out and lock you out of the rear doors 🙁

Next to get the sound deadening out book a tip run and dispose of it,

A neighbour has taken the ply and chopping out good bits for reuse.

Once all the big pieces are gone I will be scraping off the fluffy bits still stuck on the walls ready for next bin collection day 🙂
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Are you using any of the old bits as templates or is there a different plan?
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:46 pm Are you using any of the old bits as templates or is there a different plan?
Plan is to build a bed platform in the rear it will completely hide the rear arches,I did think of keeping the sides as templates for the arch shape but as you wont see them now decided against it.

Using lining paper to make templates from scratch how I want them.

Also getting help from a neighbour who lived in Cali and worked for a conversion van company from 70's to 90's before coming to the UK when these vans were new which is great having help from somebody who actually built custom vans back in the day :mrgreen:
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That's cheating!
Private signature, do not read
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

This is great. Please keep the updates coming.
I can’t wait to see what it’s going to look like as you get it done.
Any plans for the holes? Can you still buy door panel patches or will you have to make the patch panel?
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

I’m loving this van. I also think you’re very brave. Well played and keep it up.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Is that the bottoms of the doors that have rotted out or the outer skins? They should be easy enough to get welded up again hopefully.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Thanks Guys
Not sure if I'm brave or just Stupid :lol:

Not much going on right now other than sent off my paperwork today to the Doovla for a Registration :roll:
Apparently they are weeks behind so should happen sometime between now and hell freezing over :roll:

Door bottoms are available for side doors and might be adaptable?

Nowhere seems to have rear door sections anymore might have to get a hammer and dolly and get some learning in ;)

waiting for some lock rod clips as im currently locked out of the back of it :(

First plans once its registered and moving is getting everything gone through,brakes,engine,trans etc etc once the interior is cleared out ill get everything disinfected.

I don't suffer from Coronaphobia but its a bit of a Rodents Khazi :?

Don't know what to do with seats as the captain's mechs are buggered and not in a good way they just swival all the time which isn't good for driving :roll:

And need to track down so hard to get bits :?

Ive avoided vintage pineapple Volkswagens and now have been introduced to the wrath of Mopar Tax :twisted:

Oh well i will keep you all posted :)