The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Post by PhilA »

That little hissing ground is actually something quite nice (when it works)- thermostatic control.

The heater in my Pontiac has the same thing, it'll hold the cabin at one temperature, and if you have it set to WARM and the day gets warm you'll find the heater shuts off.

Without the gas in it'll just stick where you put it. No great hardship.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Ive had so many ideas on painting this Van since I got it but non of them involve paying somebody else mad money to do so so i had this idea of sanding down to the original factory black paint and just dust in to give a survivor/patina affect but to get to the back involved sanding through several old paint jobs and discovering its been painted black twice which leads to confusion as to where to stop?

So having started on the hood

I got bored I started on the side

And went a bit too far and wished I hadn't 🙄

I then realised just under the surface of the last awful paint job there was a really well done quality epoxy primer layer so i started being more gentle and just went down as far as that 😁

I then did the rear doors,still need to remove badge and numberplate and do under them.

The rear doors may be getting replaced so I wont go over board on them ill just blow them over until there's a better solution :?

Then I destroyed the sander!
Opps 🤭

So that's as far as I got.

I plan on doing the sides at least as far as the cargo sides and cab doors

The drivers side wing needs more work and will be a separate job in itself :roll:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Just lacquer it as is.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

paulplom wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:41 am Just lacquer it as is.
LOL Your not the first to say that! :lol:

No ordered paint so going with a plan ;)

A neighbour is away so can move the Van for a couple of weeks hence me moving to the outside while I have the window of opportunity ;)

Besides I cant do anything inside at the mo as I ripped three muscles in my leg and cant get into the tight spaces to finish off in there so that's off for a few weeks.

Off on a roadtrip at the weekend now we can move around again to get a few bits that are currently missing or in a bad way ;)
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So the last thing I did was to take the drivers wing down to bare metal as much as I could.

When I first saw photos of the Van it had been in a west coast altercation fender bending fight I accepted this but kindly the vendor beat 98% of the dent out :mrgreen:

It looked like this when I first saw it

Most of its out now but there are a few high spots below the swage line around the side marker light :(

The seller slapped some filler on but the usual order of the day to remove high spots high spots add more filler :twisted:

Way more on there than was needed :roll:

So its all come off :D

Id much prefer if it had the bare minimum and the high spots be knocked down,not sure how to do this as you cannot get inside the wing as its welded on and I don't really want to take it off :?

Any ideas on how you knock down high spots when you cant get a dolly behind panel?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Kidnap a small child who's hands fit behind the wing to hold the dolly?
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Hooli wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 am Kidnap a small child who's hands fit behind the wing to hold the dolly?
:lol:

Isn't that illegal :roll:

the idea has potential though :lol:
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Judging by the number of begging adverts on TV you might just get one volunteering. I'm sure that it's preferable to walking 100 miles a day to get dirty, infected water.
They'd also escape the perennial tribal wars that seem to be the root cause of their problems.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

It might be illegal, I'm not sure. Maybe you can rent them instead?

Or get a dolly with a long handle like a hammer? A large ballpein hammer should be about the right size to hold up there?
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Problem is you really cant get to the back of them only through marker light holes ill think on it there has to be some way? in the meantime I plan to Red oxide and forget it :lol:

I really don't give a toss about this van being perfect,its quiet liberating :mrgreen: