The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Post by Hooli »

What's in the way up the wheel arch?
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

LynehamHerc wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:22 am I'm sure that it's preferable to walking 100 miles a day to get dirty, infected water.
It's always puzzled me as to why they don't just relocate nearer the water.
A mud hut is a mud hut wherever it is.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'm puzzled by a lot of it but have given up wondering about it.

I doubt that there's a logical answer, it'll be based on customs, old tribal lands or whatever.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So I think its time time to let the cat out of the bag!
Don't do it they said,It'll look crap they said 🙄
So even cheap spray jobs cost thousands and I just don't have it 🙁
Besides I am stubborn 🤣
So at first I thought what Blue was the van originally?
There were two different blues on it plus black bits in hidden places as I stripped more and more sound deadening away it soon become apparent the original colour was black 😉
This is great for two reasons its gets to go back to more or less factory colour and black being a generic shade you can buy it cheap as long as you go the general generic black as opposed to an official OEM Mopar Black.
So what paint is it what gun did I use Yadda Yadda Yadda?
No
As I said I was told don't do it as it would look crap,I bought 36 500ml generic Gloss Black 1k Acrylic paint for £112 ($155) 🤪
She said Wot 😲
Yes you heard right!
Over about three weeks a couple of Walmart sanders and just picking days that were dry hot and still with little wind I rattle canned a whole van minus one fender and the roof!

These were a godsend!

And the results?

Not perfect but I'm happy with it for now :)

Does the paint have drips and runs?
Of course it does but some panels you would be hard pressed to tell they had not been done in a body shop whereas others I need to look at again.

You see we have great neighbours apart from one nosey parker busybody who spends her life complaining and reporting everybody for everything 🤬

I discovered she was going away for a work trail until the end of April so time was of the essense !
Neighbours moved cars for me away from direction of wind until I had finished they were great 😁

I haven't done the roof as I plan on another colour though I will be doing that soon and painting it with red oxide until that happens so at least its clean and protected 😁

And the reason the drivers fender is painted with red oxide is because I took that right down to bare steel as the van had had a fender bender in its past and I need to get that wing a little better 🙂

The seller did a great job beating it back into shape and perfecting it with paint but there are a few high spots I need to get knocked down before just a finishing skim of filler so rather than waste paint until its done I painted it with the red oxide to halt any rusting for the time being 😉

Its not over yet I will be flatting and marking out low spots in the paint and rectifying them as well as a few dents the idea was to get it all one colour fast and then perfect one panel at a time until I am happy then leave it to harden for a month and wet sand and buff the paint.
So far I have used 20 cans at a cost of about £62 ($85)

There are about 4 coats guessing with the fender ill use around 22 cans leaving 14 left for a couple more coats once the imperfections have been sorted out and if need be ill buy a few more 👍

All in all I am happy for now and once the outside is done ill move on to the inside metalwork like rear of doors steps etc.
Today I am having a rest 😴🥴🥱
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That looks good for rattle cans.
Private signature, do not read
Bazfr69

Post by Bazfr69 »

It does look surprisingly respectable, as much as a murder van can at least. 😄
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

It's missing a flashy red stripe down the sides.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

paulplom wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:15 am It's missing a flashy red stripe down the sides.
Funny you say that I was originally thinking of going for Flames in Gold but i think thats out of my skill set and could get pricey :roll:

So im thinking of making my own "YA3" code Street Van using the concept but not the original base colour :?

The Street Vans were always yellow with contrasting graphics and in themselves could be done with rattle cans golds,oranges,bronzes,browns,crimsons not decided yet?

[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Looks great Jo, did you see my message about the Jeep Grand Cherokee seat? I think it would be a good option.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:46 pm Looks great Jo, did you see my message about the Jeep Grand Cherokee seat? I think it would be a good option.
Yeh sorry just been burning candles at both ends I been thinking on these?

They are from a Citroen Grand Picasso Mk1 and although have a headrest its full width and they have a look of original Dodge Van high back seats