The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Broccoli

Re: The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Post by Broccoli »

Wow! You’ve been busy!
Looks great!
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So after shifting from the interior to the exterior I went back to the interior to finally put my long suffering sander out of its misery 🤣

Is all of the sound deadening out now?
No!

I have got 90% out and its the 90% that was trapping damp and causing metal to rot out!

My aim was get the last of the adhesive off in those areas and I knew I would go through to bare steel doing so :(
So first I got to this stage and while at it at long last degreased the cargo floor that had a think layer of mold on it 🙁

Then after using brute force,scrapers,wire cups on drills to get the remnants of Rockwool Insulation off I just burnt off the last of the impossible to shift caked on rock hard adhesive with 40 grit disks and achieved this 😉

The Internal roof structure thankfully only had Rockwool on one section and that was a nightmare to get off :twisted:

The doors still have little bits in where i cannot get any tools in but 80% of its gone and my feeling is I will now have the drive to carry on getting those last few bits out spurred on by what's adjacent to it looking so nice and clean

Then followed it up with Citrus Degreaser and Panel Wipe 🙂

Smelled a whole lot better and just feels cleaner just need to start sealing it now where I have burned through to bare steel😉

It doesn't have to be perfect just sealed and clean and stable before I add new modern lighter and more effective sound deadening and insulation that wont hold damp like the old Rockwool did :roll:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So once I had all the internal walls and the one internal roof panel ready to seal I coated them in Epoxy Zinc Red Oxide so they wont rust 😁

And the side doors :mrgreen:

I haven't yet done the rear corners at the sides of the rear doors as my scrapers and sander are too big to get in those tight corners.

But its mainly just dried old adhesive in those corners now that wont hold damp so they can wait for the time being.
The rear floor near the doors was rancid and I knew there was surface rust and a small hole once degreased its started to dry out so not painting that until its dried out completely.

So this is were I am at for now its dry its sealed and once I can tackle the floor and wheel tub crust I can then topcoat it all black 😉

But for now I am happy enough with the progress 😁
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

It's looking pretty tidy for a murder van now, at least all the sealed surfaces will make it easy to remove victims DNA :lol:
Private signature, do not read
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

You have been busy. It's looking really quite presentable now.

I just realized, I joined you in Mopar V8 ownership too!
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

That's some serious groundwork that you're putting into this but it's definitely looking a whole lot better for it.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Its a long Long time since I posted here in general so first the bad news. The Van is going :cry:
I am lacking motivation to finish it and after a year of actually getting it right and driving and really reliable I drove it and I don't like it! :o

Its one of those cases of never meet your heroes,I've always liked the way these look but I go out for a drive in it and I am tense as hell when I get back,it looks cool as but is a handful to drive you cant relax driving it its like navigating a boat with a wayward rudder :lol:

That said there is nothing whatsoever wrong with it,my mate who has driven them for years said it drives lovely and admitted the style of driving in them is an acquired taste and I just need to adapt :roll:

The problem is no matter how hard I try I cannot adapt and to be honest don't want to :roll:

Its had practically new everything on the steering and its still the same so its time it went to another home. My mate has first dibs on it and I am keeping it for a little while as we are doing stuff on our place so its working for its living (as storage at the moment :lol: )

I might post up some last pics before it goes but after this one its a case of finish Shitey and there's one more car I want to do then that's it.

I don't regret it as it was being used as a donor vehicle in California the original owner replaced it with a Ram Van and just kept borrowing bits off it :roll: :lol:

It was destined to be Junked when I rescued it and gave it a new lease of life in the UK so think I have done something good and its been good for me also.

Its now a solid base a blank canvas for the next custodian

Ill just be glad to see it live on

Boogie On Little Short Fat Van :mrgreen:
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

It's been a while, welcome back.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

So how are you keeping?
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Nice to hear from you again Jo, shame you can't get along with the van. I had the same thing with the Corvette, after always wanting one I really just could not get on with it. The trouble is you have to try your hero's or you will never know. At least it lives on and someone else will surely love it even with it's idiosyncrasies, what's next ? nice little '53 Buick ? I can help there.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter