What Car?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

What Car?

Post by mercrocker »

With the inevitable disappointment at 21st century motoring at maison Rocker I now look wistfully back at 2 decades of pub-car-park-level Mercedes ownership when you could get a one-owner fully booked up Merc for a grand.

I need to think about another car but nothing is giving me a hard-on any more. It has to be fairly modern-ish - number one consideration is that it needs to live outside so no classics or anything important. On the other hand I don't want to be playing dashboard roulette within six months or fucking about with DPFs, DMFs or any latter-day acronyms apart from the odd MILF.

If I cash a bond when it comes up for grabs I could potentially spunk 4K on a car - far more than anything has cost me so far since I started driving in 1977. I'd like a decent W124 but that only puts me back where I was fifteen years ago only at four times the price and much as I hate progress I do at least relish a bit of change on the motoring front.

So - over to you motley fuckers.....What should I be considering, 4 seats, no Korean, preferably saloon but might have to consider caesarean hatchback. Petrol only (that's a fixture) and quality made but not overloaded with toys.....I've considered Pug 406 and Avensis so really it is that kind of level. This will be for Mrs Rocker and long-distances - any other useage is already well-catered for with my own three vehicles.

I'm just interested in what your own thoughts would be and reserve the right to ignore all your suggestions and buy something stupid and/or boring.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
fried onions

Re: What Car?

Post by fried onions »

Same with the supply of WBoD's, I haven't managed to find anything this year. You might find something in Autotrader listings or the like that catches your eye. As an analogy it's all well and good typing in a search term like on eBay to look for something specific, but it's only when you go to antique fairs you see so much more you never even knew existed and always come away with something.

Just a thought re. Focus. There is a guy on the beige who had similar trouble with engine cutting out and instrument panel lighting up, he reckoned the instrument cluster needed some fettling. This may of course be total rubbish.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I doubt that this is what you want but we have an eight year old Up! It's proved very reliable and has done Norfolk to Bath as part of the uni run a few times quite comfortably, whilst carrying me, the missus and a 6ft 5 son.
When he took it off me we replaced it with a Citigo which so far is fine. It fails on the acronym front though.
I actually enjoy driving them. Because of the relative lack of power you have to think although the 75hp versions are ok on the motorway.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Cheers, Squire.....I have no other fault on the car at present just the illumination of a lamp that to me symbolises a potential for a lot of unnecessary expenditure and worry on the part of Mrs Rocker. I would have no problem finding another proper car to lunch four grand on - it is the provision of an acceptable modern-ish that I find difficult.....
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

chadders wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:58 pm I doubt that this is what you want but we have an eight year old Up! It's proved very reliable and has done Norfolk to Bath as part of the uni run a few times quite comfortably, whilst carrying me, the missus and a 6ft 5 son.
When he took it off me we replaced it with a Citigo which so far is fine. It fails on the acronym front though.
I actually enjoy driving them. Because of the relative lack of power you have to think although the 75hp versions are ok on the motorway.
No, it isn't what I want Chadders but I need this kind of input to make me think a bit differently. I never wanted a Focus either, so I'm keeping the radar scanning......Thanks for the info!
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

I can recommend a Spaceship Civic. Absolutely bullet proof. Mine has 115k and still feels like a new car. I’ve got the 1.4 petrol. Quite a small motor for the size of car so the acceleration is a bit leisurely but once underway it’s fine. I guess the 1.8 would be quicker. Mrs.B bought it new and I took it over when she got her Hyundai. It’s never let her or me down. Built in Swindon so it’s even British 😉 Lots of trim levels to choose from. Mine’s an SI which has half leather seats, climate control, all electric windows and a decent stereo. Highly recommended.
DFF35F8D-200A-431B-A7A1-8D18E0622321.jpeg
DFF35F8D-200A-431B-A7A1-8D18E0622321.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 3242 times
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

A few boxes ticked there....cheers.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Invacar?
As I suspected I was right about everything.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

treehugger wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:15 pmInvacar?
Bastard!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

What about the Civ...
brandersnatch wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:07 pm I can recommend a Spaceship Civic. Absolutely bullet proof. Mine has 115k and still feels like a new car. I’ve got the 1.4 petrol. Quite a small motor for the size of car so the acceleration is a bit leisurely but once underway it’s fine. I guess the 1.8 would be quicker. Mrs.B bought it new and I took it over when she got her Hyundai. It’s never let her or me down. Built in Swindon so it’s even British 😉 Lots of trim levels to choose from. Mine’s an SI which has half leather seats, climate control, all electric windows and a decent stereo. Highly recommended.DFF35F8D-200A-431B-A7A1-8D18E0622321.jpeg
Oh.

Yes one of those.

1.4 is pretty anemic tbh. 1.8 petrol or even the 2.2 CTDi diesel are the ones to go for.

The only issue you may find is that many won't be looked after now at this age. Also you probably won't want the Sat Nav otherwise you'll be screaming how utterly impossible it to use - standard Jap infotainment. Leather is standard Japanese car leather - i.e. embarrasingly thin and shit. Non-leather is Velour - must have been one of the last?

The generation after is also an excellent car and more refined. Just currently still worth a bit.

Both the spaceship and the generation after have massive boots, fold flat rear seats and fold up seat bases. Clever design that makes them very practical.

Another alternative is the Accord too.

I took my Civic from 80k to 150k. Inlaws took it to just over 160k. Purplebargken now owns it and probably racking the miles up still.