The Crappy Hamper Thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: The Crappy Hamper Thread

Post by mercrocker »

I like Hymers. Proper actual Motorised Caravans.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Bangernomics wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:15 am I’m a fan of the old T2, I had a J REG early T2 bay that had a right cobbled mix of split running gear. The front axle snapped on the coast road going to formby whilst working over there and staying in digs in Halton (right shithole but had a pay phone you could easily fiddle for free calls).

I bought it in 90/91 for £500 it was rotten and spent almost every evening and weekend for two months cutting and welding the bottom back on using bits of old washing machine sides as we were skint at the time but saw it as a cheap way for a holiday.

I’ll dig a photo out of it from somewhere later.

Aha found one albeit a shit one.

I sold it about three years later for about £1k just before they started to get stupid pricewise obviously.

Then a long gap as the former Mrs B hated it so when she was fired off I bought a 30 year old C25 based hymer,

that promptly shit it’s head gasket on the way back from buying it in Dorchester and so I spent a month pulling it to bits and going over the top replacing everything I touched. We did almost a month driving round France in it without too much fuss and it basically was cheaper than a month of (as mercrocker said) seaside lunches and with the convenience of a shower and a loo and a double bed.

Bought for £5k and sold for the same as I bought another on the spur of the moment for what was a very good price at the time a 1997 hymer but sprinter auto based.

Another photo placeholder.

Only £13.5k and when we bought this place in France I decided we wouldn’t be using one for a couple of years so I sold it on for £17.5k which was a bonus but it’d probably fetch an easy £20k now as covid has made the market crazy.

I’m currently browsing leboncoin as I miss a convenient & clean WC and a choc ice that doesn’t cost me £10.

Less annoying tag line.

Are you a professional photographer Bangernomics?
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

Banger’s comment reference a clean WC, reminds me of a trip to Kuwait a couple of years ago. Our hosts organised a days kite flying in the desert, like you do, for Mrs N and me.
They’d never actually had a woman join them on these things before , so along with the tents, portaloo, vans full of kites etc they provided a camper van “ In case Madame needs to rest in private”
339F05FD-C7C6-41C4-81B2-1691571ECA9E.jpeg
339F05FD-C7C6-41C4-81B2-1691571ECA9E.jpeg (984.33 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
At the end of the day we were driving back into Kuwait City,when she suddenly remembered that she hadn’t gone to the camper all day. Then she was worried they’d be offended , I was more concerned about keeping my Lexus on the marked track , not where the uncleared ordinance might be !
Chodweaver

Post by Chodweaver »

Hooli wrote:
SiC wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:45 am
Hooli wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:42 am

Replace.
Part out
Strip for parts.
Disassemble
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Chodweaver wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:07 am
Hooli wrote:
SiC wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:45 am

Part out
Strip for parts.
Disassemble
Johnny 5 alive!
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Sod having a cramper van, over here there is a potential planning issue with these sorts of things, especially if the neighbours are being dicks.
CLASS 8 The keeping or storing of a caravan, campervan or boat within the curtilage of a house.

1. Not more than one caravan, campervan or boat shall be so kept or stored.

2. The caravan, campervan or boat shall not be used for the storage, display, advertisement or sale of goods or for the purposes of any business.

3. No caravan, campervan or boat shall be so kept or stored for more than 9 months in any year or occupied as a dwelling while so kept or stored.
:lol:
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Any idea what caused that bit of legislation?
Loads of pikey caravans crammed on people's drives?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Many homes in the UK, especially newer builds, have similar covenants on them. Not that most abide to them.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

SiC wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:11 pm Many homes in the UK, especially newer builds, have similar covenants on them. Not that most abide to them.
Mine has a similar thing, I’m sure there was something about vans or trade vehicles as well, it’s ok though as calling it an “ ExecutiveDevelopment” kept the Riff Raff out.
Well , almost ...
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Our previous house had covenants enabling us to keep pigs, gather fallen wood, providing it's less than a certain diameter, and a few other things.
I seem to remember there's a load on the present one but it's 17 years since we moved in so I can't remember what they are apart from something about the stables, which had been converted into garages.