Automotive monopolies

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Automotive monopolies

Post by mercrocker »

The MDC in Southampton is actually at Hythe - directly across Southampton water about 15 miles by road. Last time I was in there it was pretty much as Warren describes! We still fairly well served locally, just wish the one across the road from me was still there, although the last owner who took over tended to stock cheaper tools in an effort to try and remain competitive. Kiss of death, really as people just ordered more stuff online.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:04 am The MDC in Southampton is actually at Hythe - directly across Southampton water about 15 miles by road. Last time I was in there it was pretty much as Warren describes! We still fairly well served locally, just wish the one across the road from me was still there, although the last owner who took over tended to stock cheaper tools in an effort to try and remain competitive. Kiss of death, really as people just ordered more stuff online.
Your local one even appeared to do welding gas at one point.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yeah, the last feller in there did hobby-weld. He still does actually, until he can find a new lease-holder for the now-empty shop he his operating from behind the premises on an on-line basis. I've managed to catch him a few times for blue roll and the like.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:54 pm Good blokes they are, at least one of them is from the sadly departed Factors almost next to my house.
Now you said this, I can say this is how I figured where you lived. Found a picture you posted of it with two of your cars outside. I figured for both cars to be there, it was within a reasonably short walking distance of your house... 😆

That and you mentioning it was on a dead end road.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Proper little Nancy Drew! I preferred the Hardy Boys myself.
Kiltox

Post by Kiltox »

SiC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:44 pm
AMCrebel wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:46 pm Motorworld seems to exist only in a limited area -

Screenshot 2021-02-26 191328.jpg
Definitely far more around than that. I know for sure there is one in Dursley and Mercrocker mentioned there is one in Southampton
Gloucester too unless it’s closed recently.