Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fried onions

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by fried onions »

I haven't done anything about it yet. This awful gloom and struggling to re-adjust after night shifts makes me put off all but the easy jobs.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Gahh. night shifts in the winter. Absolute arse.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

They are horrible and we do 3, have the weekend off, then back in for 9 on the trot. I don't mind them too much in winter because I'm not missing anything outdoors and don't get as grumpy by staying in bed. Still throws your settings out of adjustment though.
Squire Dawson

The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I turned down a fairly lucrative job converting a 328i E36 from auto to manual. It's too cold and in winter I feel just too old to be lying under cars on axle stands hauling 50kg gearboxes in and out on a trolley jack, even in my workshop with the heater going.
Summer is a far better time to be doing that sort of thing.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The Humber CVC regulator I set up in the summer wanted adjusting again, as it became apparent from the ammeter readings with the lights and blower on, which is common at this time of year. Although I haven't suffered a low or flat battery I still wanted to boost the output. It is practically impossible to set these infernal things up consistently and reliably; the 3 bobbins mean each function (cut out, current and voltage) is separate, and the current and voltage bobbins seem to work against each other. The RB 106 two bobbin is much better.

IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG (674.96 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
The ammeter readings without any load on show around 10-15 amps, yet with loads switched on like the headlamps the ammeter drops to zero. What I would expect is a high initial charge for a short period after starting the engine to replenish the current drawn by the starter motor, then settling down to a trickle charge of a few amps, to be balanced when any load is switched on. The voltage was also on the low side - under 13v - and no matter what I did to the adjuster screw it made no difference.

I have tried a few of these RB 310 regulators all with the same results, even setting them up according to the WSM to no avail. I don't want to be in a situation where a long trip boils off the electrolyte during the day, or, at night, slowly discharges the battery. At least I have the luxury of a starting handle to get the 3 litre six going if needs be. I'm going to do some internet study and see if there are any solid state conversions. As much as I treasure originality and try to preserve it as far as possible, I have to be pragmatic and I'm starting to run out of options. It's not as if a replacement RB 310 is cheap, and there's no guarantee it would behave any differently, plus all the Lucas trained technicians are all long retired or gone.

I had some good news that the Minor had been painted and could I come and inspect it (and bring my debit card). I was stunned with the finish and having a proper bare metal respray was definitely the best option. All that's left to do is re-assemble it and I shall look forward to seeing it again more complete.

IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG (636.26 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
Squire Dawson

Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That finish looks way too good for a Moggie.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Nothing's too good for Cowley's finest! Seriously, though, the Minor was an exceptionally well-finished car in its price bracket. They kept their appearance far better than contemporary Anglias, Heralds, Vivas and even A40s.....

Look forward to seeing the end result.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I guess I'm just used to weathered examples.
Private signature, do not read
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

I sympathise about electro-mechanical voltage regulators. My recollection of them is they were utter wank. I get the commitment to originality but these were a poor solution based on the available technology at the time.
In my book there are some things like seat belts, dual circuit brakes, radial tyres, screen washers and heaters that were either not fitted or not available that are still worth adding or changing. I include an alternator in that.

If you have a lot of cash to spend you could of course get one of these -
https://www.holden.co.uk/p/dynalite_to_ ... tive_earth
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Hooli wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:50 am I guess I'm just used to weathered examples.
That's because they last long enough to get that way!