Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by SiC »

No need to get all your gears out of mesh
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

His thread is shafted by knobs anyway.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I've been after one of these for a while for the moggy, as I like to have a clock in my cars, especially since I gave up wearing a wristwatch.

IMG_6858.JPG
IMG_6858.JPG (399.6 KiB) Viewed 3239 times

It's a neat gadget rear-view mirror incorporating an electric clock, which has a switch for illumination on the side. I wanted one of these instead of a normal 2" clock which would clutter the simple dashboard. Minors lend themselves well to adding personal touches but I prefer the functional, if spartan, design. It's true that the ammeter I fitted under the dashboard early on warned me of a faulty control box, which the red ignition light alone could not do, but after I repaired that I removed it.

IMG_6875.JPG
IMG_6875.JPG (454.23 KiB) Viewed 3239 times

I can use the existing bracket for this mirror clock, as indeed the official accessories guide shows, albeit a larger model mirror.

IMG_6877.JPG
IMG_6877.JPG (500.94 KiB) Viewed 3239 times

I trial fitted it and it's brilliant. The clock is not a distraction at all due to the way your eyes focus between looking back and at the clock, and despite the slight reduction in mirror size over the original, vision is more or less the same. The guide lists an ordinary electric clock too. This would probably be a 2" circular Smiths clock, 'mounted where you want it', which could be anywhere but most likely was in a gauge bracket under the dash. I would love to know what exact model clock was offered, but there could have been a choice of design. Anyway, it's nice to keep an eye on the time whilst on the move.

I'm not going to see any change out of £5,000 to sort out the bodywork. This includes fitting 4 new wings and front panel supplied by me, welding repairs to the structure underneath the wings, and a full respray. I expected it would be around that figure and am going ahead with it, since having it done properly will show some economy in the long run, and I like the car with no plans to let it go.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I do like those old brochures where the size of the cars shown has little to do with reality.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Hooli wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:40 am I do like those old brochures where the size of the cars shown has little to do with reality.

Back in the days when a writer could write freely Michael Sedgwick referred to them as being modelled by "performing midgets" ......
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

fried onions wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:08 am I've been after one of these for a while for the moggy, as I like to have a clock in my cars, especially since I gave up wearing a wristwatch.

IMG_6858.JPG

It's a neat gadget rear-view mirror incorporating an electric clock, which has a switch for illumination on the side. I wanted one of these instead of a normal 2" clock which would clutter the simple dashboard. Minors lend themselves well to adding personal touches but I prefer the functional, if spartan, design. It's true that the ammeter I fitted under the dashboard early on warned me of a faulty control box, which the red ignition light alone could not do, but after I repaired that I removed it.

IMG_6875.JPG

I can use the existing bracket for this mirror clock, as indeed the official accessories guide shows, albeit a larger model mirror.

IMG_6877.JPG

I trial fitted it and it's brilliant. The clock is not a distraction at all due to the way your eyes focus between looking back and at the clock, and despite the slight reduction in mirror size over the original, vision is more or less the same. The guide lists an ordinary electric clock too. This would probably be a 2" circular Smiths clock, 'mounted where you want it', which could be anywhere but most likely was in a gauge bracket under the dash. I would love to know what exact model clock was offered, but there could have been a choice of design. Anyway, it's nice to keep an eye on the time whilst on the move.

I'm not going to see any change out of £5,000 to sort out the bodywork. This includes fitting 4 new wings and front panel supplied by me, welding repairs to the structure underneath the wings, and a full respray. I expected it would be around that figure and am going ahead with it, since having it done properly will show some economy in the long run, and I like the car with no plans to let it go.
What a find, Squire....I share your appreciation of an uncluttered dash and that clock is something I have never seen in the flesh. I have a whole pile of supplementary instrument panels, switches and gauge mounts but so far have resisted such things. Your quote for the Moggy seems very reasonable and good value to keep a well-loved car.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Aye, its been fighting me all the way but with the appropriation of parts from the scrapper and having the bodywork done, I am optimistic I will make a good, reliable car out of it. It drives really nicely as the front end had a load of work done before my ownership, and is solid underneath. It's just tatty and mechanically worn out. I can't wait for the day when I can set off to Beaulieu or Scotland and not have any doubts whether it will get there, and will anything fall off.
Squire Dawson

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Sounds like mine....I had the front end rebushed a couple of years ago with Superflex and it transformed the car. Bodily OK, chassis getting doubtful though - I really need to strip the sill outers and kick panels off and prepare myself for what is underneath. It's been heavily Bilt-Hambered annually but I can't think it would have got to every area....It's reliable enough (or has been) and I will never sell it. Whatever the Merc fetches at auction next month will be spent on Morris. Can't imagine life without it.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Good stuff. I always enjoyed seeing yours, it looks great with the two-toning and just the right amount of period extras. Hopefully we will meet again one day with the cars, I would love to take it to Beaulieu, I'm always slightly envious when you mention you have been out on a run in the New Forest.
Squire Dawson

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Aye, it will all come back in due course. If you are ever down this way again let me know on here beforehand. As of tomorrow I shall be a man of leisure.