Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Nibblet

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by Nibblet »

Talking about shooting brakes reminds me of the mk1 Cortina estate my great uncle had; red with melamine fake wood strips on the sides. Be worth some dough now. He had a mk4 Cortina later on, a gold 2.3 summat or other. My old man had a blue Anglia 105 and his father had an upmarket Anglia 123 with two tone? Paintwork.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

CLINT wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:13 pm I recently changed the gearbox oil on my Standard. It was gl4 that I put in a decade of so ago, I've only done about 3,000 miles since then but there was a definite metallic content to it. Some brass too.

Refilled with 20/50 engine oil
Yes that is often the case. Filled with EP instead of engine oil. The EP oil adversely affects the synchromesh amongst other things. By the late 1950's most cars specified the same grade of oil to be used in the engine and gearbox, but again it will be no surprise that few people read the vehicle handbook.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

fried onions wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:26 am By the late 1950's most cars specified the same grade of oil to be used in the engine and gearbox, but again it will be no surprise that few people read the vehicle handbook.
My '60s cars were Triumphs. They definitely needed EP in the 'boxes.

Ben
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

My Bonnie needs GL-4 in the box if I remember right. I think GL-4 is safe for brass & some of the additives in GL-5 aren't.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Yes, some still specified EP 90 for the 'box, but the tendency was towards the same as used in the engine. Then in the late 1970's manufacturers seemed to revert back to EP 90. Triumph would have to be awkward, I mean different.
Squire Dawson

BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

Front wheel drive Austin/Morris shared the engine oil with the gearbox. Is that what you are thinking of?

Not sure I know of any others that were using engine oil in the box?

Ben
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

BenHar wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:06 pm Front wheel drive Austin/Morris shared the engine oil with the gearbox. Is that what you are thinking of?

Ben
RWD A-series did I think, such as Midgets & Minors.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Anyway, my order arrived today. Nice tin designs but only the Duckham's has a seal. Next oil change on the Snipe I'll use the green stuff but will need another tin, and the replacement Moggy engine can have Castrol. There will be no difference in running but I'll be interested to see if there's a difference in oil consumption.

IMG_6614.JPG
IMG_6614.JPG (493.17 KiB) Viewed 3989 times
IMG_6616.JPG
IMG_6616.JPG (305.49 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

Incidentally, I am recycling my used engine oil. I drained it from the Humber and have been pouring it in the knackered Moggy engine.

Also finally had a new exhaust fitted to the Allegro, after the rear silencer fell off and I jettisoned it in a car park. They always rot at the welds at the coolest part of the system, despite the fact I generally avoid short runs and never just start the engine to shuffle the car. Still, it lasted 7 years and some 20,000 miles for me but was fitted new in 1996 and laid up.

IMG_6612.JPG
IMG_6612.JPG (336.73 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

I specified a flexi-joint near the front to hopefully cure the perennial problem all transverse A Series suffer from: blowing at the manifold to downpipe joint due to torque stresses. The top engine steady bushes have to be tip-top and each racing start puts stress on everything. Time will tell with that one. For £180 made and fitted that's pretty damn good.
Squire Dawson

BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

Hooli wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:14 pm
BenHar wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:06 pm Front wheel drive Austin/Morris shared the engine oil with the gearbox. Is that what you are thinking of?

Ben
A quick internet search agrees with you (apart from the 1500 Midget which was of course a Triumph engine).

So seems to be an Austin/Morris thing.

Ben
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Hooli wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Ben
Yes, these and various cars where overdrive was an optional fitment. Standard, Humber, Rover etc. Predictably, not Vauxhall and Ford.
Squire Dawson