Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fried onions

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by fried onions »

The sun put in a rare appearance today. My word, I thought, it's dry outside so I can get the Humber out of the garage for a run and wash it. There was a lot of salt and filth on the coachwork from its last outing a few weeks ago when it got caught in a downpour. I like to keep this car clean and dry and definitely so in winter, until I have treated it properly underneath to protect the structure. Off I went up to my father's house to wash the car. This time I applied masking tape to the windows/doors to prevent water from running down into the doors which would take ages to dry out at this time of year.

IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2875 times

It did seem to keep the water out so I'll be repeating this little trick. Unfortunately the pissing rain came back with a vengeance so I finished cleaning and parked the car up, so angry was I at the shit fucking weather which constantly hampers any outdoor activity, I was certainly not driving the clean car home and getting it dirty again and corroding the underneath. Fuck off you cunting rain FUCK.

In a better frame of mind after I'd walked off my rage on the way home, I cast my eye over the solid state regulator/cut out which arrived yesterday and began cooking up a plan of campaign.

IMG_0350(1).JPG
IMG_0350(1).JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2875 times
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG (840.12 KiB) Viewed 2875 times

It is a compact unit and just a solid box with the wires coming out. I will dismantle the worst of my RB.310 units and fit this inconspicuously inside. I am going to call the chap who makes them again to clarify if I need to remove all the old gubbins, because I am unsure about the fibre resistor linking F and D on the back, whether it remains or not.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Good tip on the masking tape, probably worth using if having to park out in the rain somewhere, too.....Minor rear doors are particularly prone to rotting through water ingress due to the drainage not achieving full clearance.

I have fitted Marina glass-wipers but the bastard stuff still leeches in.

Liked also for the rain-rant. It is indeed a cunt.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

We have had a lot of rain lately. I'm dying to get the mazda back out but the shit weather is putting me off.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Old engine oil poured carefully into a door (via the door card aperture obviously) gets down into the seam nicely. It's a much underrated rustproofer. Look at a 50 year old Mini front subframe for evidence.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I use that technique to good effect....The Minor is a problem though - it still doesn't creep into the extremity of the wheelarch curvature at the trailing edge of the rear doors. Anything you put in there has to be almost as thin as water itself. Hottest day of the year job - with a heated can of Dynax - is the best I can achieve.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I see quite a few mentions of Bar and Chain Oil for chainsaws being used in the rusty areas of the USA. Designed specifically to stick onto metal to stop it rusting (as well as lubricating), so gives a tacky nature to its consistency. There are some mentions that it contains phosphoric acid (rust converter).

Please don't use old engine oil as it's horrific for the environment. Not only gets washed down in storm drains which go directly to rivers and other water courses but also small mammals + pets have a habit of licking it. The odd drop from a leaking sump isn't likely to cause harm but a car underfloor covered in it will run off in heavy rain/hot day quite considerably.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

I'm not talking about it dripping off. A rag with old oil on is fine. On a dry day, dust sticks to it.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Old oil is a miserable substance on exposed metal anyway, best confined to fences (applied on a dry and windless day) and box sections. FWIW, I always collect the run-off too. I might not care about people that I poison but I like the furry fellas.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

‘Umber Imperious spotted near me in Sheff. Bloke also has a P5B.
Attachments
8FA0B2B4-D60B-4E4C-B9A3-7436ADF02D3B.jpeg
8FA0B2B4-D60B-4E4C-B9A3-7436ADF02D3B.jpeg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 2804 times
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:29 pm ‘Umber Imperious spotted near me in Sheff. Bloke also has a P5B.
Looks like a Super Snipe to me.

Ben