Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
cros
The Elastrator

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by cros »

Eddie Honda wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 pm
cros wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:00 pm "Pity this fella isn't around the corner "

Imagine the convenience of having him melting plastic on the pavement just under your window.
I'll have none of that negative Shiters' patter of yours!. :lol:
Not particularly negative, over there anyone AC/DC is quickly rectified.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

cros wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:52 am
Eddie Honda wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 pm
cros wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:00 pm "Pity this fella isn't around the corner "

Imagine the convenience of having him melting plastic on the pavement just under your window.
I'll have none of that negative Shiters' patter of yours!. :lol:
Not particularly negative, over there anyone AC/DC is quickly rectified.
That'll bridge the flow of issues.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Are you positive?
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

That's a negative, the pattern is full.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Carry on like this and I'll put you on a charge.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Is that a spark of resistance?
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Go ohm.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Join the resistance.jpg
Join the resistance.jpg (68.32 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Forgetting the battery for a while I moved on to another important issue - that of the HT leads. The wires are the ones on the car when I got it and at that time comprised one of those long rubber covers for the spark plug end, and copper washers with the conductor splayed out for the screw-in distributor terminals. Later I was fortunate to acquire a number of the correct bakelite plug lead ends which are very rare now. These are essential for proper location and removal of the HT lead to the plug as being a hemispherical combustion chamber the spark plugs sit in the middle down a long tube into which fingers cannot fit. So I put the bakelite ends on in place of the rubber ones and to bodge the crimps on as best I could using solder and mole grips in the absence of the right crimping tool. Needless to say this was unsatisfactory and the wires were shit anyway as I could see sparks tracking to earth, and the engine misfired when reaching high revs in second gear - not what you want when pulling out from a slip road onto a busy carriageway.
Now I have the correct Ripaults crimping tool, crimps and a reel of NOS Lucas 7mm HT cable, in addition to the correct bakelite parts, I did the lot including the king lead.

First of all I had to clean up the top of the rocker cover where the breather intake from the oil bath air cleaner has made a mess. It is the same around the carburettor so that's something I'll have to look into reducing/eliminating.

IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG (446.59 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

This arrangement is much better than the previous washer and wire method.

IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG (342.62 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

It was a doddle with the right tool and the terminals now fit inside the bakelite ends instead of protruding like before.

IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG (319.55 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

And then I fitted them all. Using the old wires as a guide to correct length I still checked again on a trial fit before crimping the distributor ends, because I only had 8 of the crimps so there could be no errors. I also drew a rough sketch of the relative wire positions in the distributor cap to obviate setting the firing order from scratch.
IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG (499.27 KiB) Viewed 2497 times

The top cover is not fitted yet as I want to observe for any current losses first. Hopefully renewing the leads will mean vastly improved starting (in conjunction with a new battery) and I will do the second gear test for misfires. I continuity checked all leads before fitting and the readings were spot-on, the same could not be said for the bad ones I removed, a few of which showed very poor continuity.

The bakelite ends were the topic of some robust discussion with the man I bought a full NOS set from. Prior to this I already had an assemblage of 6 of them acquired from various sources when on my travels. Each of the parts is cast with a little number underneath, and I had numbers 1 to 4 with some duplicates. I was under the impression that they were numbered per cylinder and believed there must be numbers 5 and 6. I was excited when the full set was offered still in its Rootes packaging as I thought I would finally get my hands on a complete numbered set. Unfortunately I had been mistaken and it transpires that these numbers were not to match up with each cylinder but some sort of manufacturer's number. Most odd, and disappointing, but I had to concede I was wrong and even consulting the Owner's Handbook only made reference to locating the leads correctly by their respective lengths. After this lively discussion the conversation turned to cylinder heads and I mentioned how I'd had mine done but the shop reassembled it incorrectly, including the valve stem seals, which they'd fitted to the actual valve stems instead of in the correct place which is a recess in the spring retainer cup. The chap was adamant that this was wrong, that they would be useless up there and would enable oil to be admitted into the cylinders, but I knew best this time as I had studied the book and done the job myself. He even pulled out his own cylinder head and I tried to show him but he still dismissed me in broad Scottish "Ah've bin spannerin' afore ye we born, laddie". Well, I said, you will find out soon enough, and after paying him for the lead set took my leave.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I never argue with people who obviously know better either.....With advancing age that tends to be folk younger than me now. Glad you persevered with the lead arrangements, I used to struggle with those on my Zephyrs but confess since going electronic I just opt for purpose-built sets from some geezer on Ebay, haven't had any problems with them.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......