Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Sub Par Cars

Post by mercrocker »

Have fond memories of Stirling and Eyetie motors - I used to do a bit of holiday cover up there and had the use of a Supermirafiori. GR8 for the backroads....Hope all goes well with both for you!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Glad I checked the oil in it earlier.

Yes, what was in there was clean and fresh, but it was just above the minimum. That litre of 10W40 I had on my shelf is now in it.

I'm also dubious about the state of the thermostat. It takes a while to get up to halfway on the gauge (90 celsius) and doesn't hold it very well. Goes down to about 80 again once moving. Is it just a gauge that's actually true rather than damped, or is the 'stat on the way out? Hmmm.

Either way, my trust in sellers on the beige is starting to evaporate somewhat. Methinks this hasn't been as meticulously cared for as implied.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Give it time to settle, it might have been the long run from a slumber. Or the oil might be too thin.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Aye, could be.

I'm now looking into the wonderful world of MultiECUScan. Free* software for diagnostics on various Italian cars.

Of course the free version only lets you look at things, not do a PROXI alignment, which is likely what the window module needs. That version will be 50 Euros. Still not a bad price. If I use it twice it pays for itself.

No money has been spent yet, I need to find the right lead for it first. I have a generic USB to OBD lead sitting here which I've used to successfully load remaps onto at least two 2.0HDi engines, but MultiECUScan doesn't seem to like it. Their forums suggest using generic VAGCOM leads, or an ELM327 lead.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Another couple of hundred miles today.

That makes about 800+ miles in 5 days of ownership, by my estimation.

I think I may go for the flat I viewed this morning.

It's spacious, modern, well insulated, at the end of a dead-end street in a quiet residential area, has dedicated free parking, and is a mile (along a foot/cycle path) from the university. You can even see Stirling castle from the living room window. It's also at the bottom end of the scale for rent in Stirling, as the landlord just wants it rented out for enough to pay for the mortgage, rather than gouge it for huge profits.

The one I viewed in the afternoon was in a beautiful old building in the centre of Stirling, but was further from the university, more expensive, and on a tiny narrow street with severe parking restrictions.

The Alfa has developed an intermittent 'ping' or 'knock' from the front suspension somewhere. Only when cornering on uneven surfaces, and only sometimes. It feels like it's coming from somewhere near my left foot. Hmm. Some hairbrained part of my mind thinks a dry ARB bush? But that seems a bit far-fetched. As if the ARB is twisting up, then 'pinging' free due to a bush needing some grease or something. Probably something far more expensive / complicated because Alfa Romeo.

I can't feel anything through the steering or suspension, mind. It still sticks like shit to a blanket when cornering.
Last edited by SubPar on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Flat sounds good & 800 miles in an Alfa before it breaks sounds like success to me?
Private signature, do not read
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

ARB drop links. They 'pattern' when worn.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 pm ARB drop links. They 'pattern' when worn.
Aye, drop links crossed my mind as the most likely suspect!

Didnae stop me giving it the hammers of fuck up the AWPR on my way home at the back of 7. :D
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Right.

Oil, oil filter, and front drop links all ordered.

That should keep me busy!
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Get the WD40 on the drop links now and keep soaking them.