Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SubPar

Re: Sub Par Cars - Axis of Idiocy.

Post by SubPar »

RetroShite wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:11 pm Is it blue or green?
Yes.

Post by Guest »

Petroleum or Diesel?
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Guest wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:58 pm Petroleum or Diesel?
It's a 1.8D. No turbo.

It's surprisingly alright, not fast but not slow. I can drive it everywhere absolutely flat-out, cornering on the door handles, and it still does well into the 50s in terms of mpg. It's completely silly, unexpectedly refined, and has suspension taken straight off a trophy truck. Ridiculously squishy and with loads of travel.

The heater is also like a blast furnace.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

The only 205 I ever drove & liked was a NA diesel too, as you say flat out everywhere & uses no fuel.
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Aye.

It was for sale for a good price considering it's a car with a long MOT and in decent nick. Mechanically, at least. It's cosmetically "pre-loved" but that just adds to the charm.

Anything else round here is up for sale for 4-figures with 5 minutes of MOT and at least one serious fault that will preclude it getting an MOT or even being drivable. The market's fucking mental right now.

I set out with the intention of getting something bigger (I looked at a Legacy Outback for example) but then realised I probably won't be doing huge miles over winter anyway. This 205 is perfect for just smoking about (sometimes literally) locally.

Saying that, I did over 100 miles in it yesterday. I went over to Reb's place (not Rab). He's 40 miles away over in Fife. So that was 80 miles just for the round trip, but then we faffed about going round his (two!) units moving things around and tidying them up. It's now also gained a healthy coating of mud, including on the roof. No, I'm not washing it either! It looks absolutely ace with the mud on it.

It used less than a quarter of its about 40 litre tank doing all that. I also bashed it along a farm track I normally take at walking pace in the BMW, but at about 20mph. It just absorbed it all in comfort. The suspension on these is magic.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

The body roll on them is hilarious. I had one when I had to take my kit car off the road due to a change in circumstances and it literally saved me thousands in fuel. I did go thru a few tyres on it because I was wearing out the outer edge front and back, it needed stabilisers on the mirrors according to my mates
Get some decent tyres on the front and it'll be bloody good come the winter too if we get a bit of the white stuff.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

I fucking love 205's.
I've got 2 at the moment, hopefully make 1 decent one out of the two, plus a xantia engine.
3 doors are for winners.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I actually quite like them as well. Mind in the interests of full disclosure I also owned and liked 2 Citroen Visas diesels as well so my opinion isn't worth much.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

My missus had a 1.4GR as a company car in the late 80s.
In a lot of ways it was better than my Mk2 Golf GTi but, on balance, the latter won overall. If she'd had a 205GTi the result might have been different.

Post by Guest »

I had a 205CJ as a company lease car, sadly it was a duff one which refused to start if the engine was hot and lost its clutch in 12000 miles (I'm not heavy on clutches). Nice when it went though. I think the shape chucks mud over the top as mine frequently looked like it had been driven through a field even though I never did.