Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
panhard65

Re: Sub Par Projects

Post by panhard65 »

Sometimes it is just a re gas as the systems do lose a certain amount each year. When you go to recharge you are supposed to test for leaks and if it has a leak you can't charge it. Usually it is the condenser but if it hasn't been used in ages it can be the pressure has dropped just enough to stop the compressor from operating and a re gas works.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

It apparently went into be recharged but it wouldn't hold vacuum. Going to try and fix it for next summer.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SubPar wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:43 am When is it ever "just a regas" though?
My yellow Hunda Jizz. It's been fine since, even though it's got a tiny compressor that has to slave away in this heat.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The van had to be regassed earlier in the year.
That was because they had to take the fucking engine out though.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Our Maverick just needed a regas, for a US based vehicle is hardly the Arctic blast I was expecting though :(
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

DodgeRover wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:44 pm Our Maverick just needed a regas, for a US based vehicle is hardly the Arctic blast I was expecting though :(
Does it start to get cold then go luke warm within a few mins? if so it's the dryer that needs replacing, which of course needs the gas removing & replacing again. The dryer is just a load of those crystals you get in a sachet when you buy electronics, so running the system empty for ages allows damp in the air to 'fill them up' & if moisture gets in the gas it absorbs too much heat from outside the pipework to stay cold.
Private signature, do not read
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

My black 75 with black leather has non working air con. The seller had it regassed the previous year but obviously it hadn't held. It never actually occurred to me that the seller had failed to mention it as it was a £900 75 which had a lot of money spent on the right jobs so I still thought it was value. I guess if it was a dear car and and fairly new then it would be an issue.

My Civic is the first car I've had I years with working air con and it is brilliant.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Hooli wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:50 pm
DodgeRover wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:44 pm Our Maverick just needed a regas, for a US based vehicle is hardly the Arctic blast I was expecting though :(
Does it start to get cold then go luke warm within a few mins? if so it's the dryer that needs replacing, which of course needs the gas removing & replacing again. The dryer is just a load of those crystals you get in a sachet when you buy electronics, so running the system empty for ages allows damp in the air to 'fill them up' & if moisture gets in the gas it absorbs too much heat from outside the pipework to stay cold.
Bollocks that is pretty much what it does it's not warm it is cool but not cold by any means. Should have ordered a new one from Rock Auto :(
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Funny that was roughly my thought process with the Saab but I sold it before sorting it & I think it got scrapped. Poor thing.
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I was probably being overly paranoid. I think the Civic has done that to me.

I'll stay out of the game for a while. It's just that "never bothered me, just needs a regas" ranks alongside "easy fix" in adverts for me.

In other news, the AX seller has dropped the price by £50. Can get a replacement clutch for far less than that (but it would still need to be fitted).

No. I'm not even going to go there.

The Alfa is being very Italian, as you would expect. I was driving along the motorway last Friday on my way home from meeting some friends, and drove over a join in the surface. Not even a pothole, just one of those joins between different surfaces.
As the front wheels hit, the airbag light came on. I'm assuming it's a connection under a seat or something...