Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: Sub Par Cars

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Decadence.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Oil and filter change, and a much-needed wash.

Also, stupid unnecessary stickers.

Sorry not sorry.
Last edited by SubPar on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Shineyness
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

This is just an idle thought at the moment, but I'm getting increasingly serious about it.

A certain couple of members of the beige who are based in the Glasgow area have a spare B50M28 lying around. That's a BMW 2.8 straight 6 in English.

I've been informed that it's a relatively straightforward swap into an E36.

I still need to source a taller-ratio diff, bigger front brakes and an exhaust system though. Well, the diff is optional but with the combination of the 1.6 gearbox and diff it would have comical acceleration before hitting its top speed like a brick wall.

There is a local Facebook page for BMWs, which I'm a member of. Lots of drift boys on there constantly breaking cars up for parts. I may need to get serious about sourcing parts soon. There's even an abandoned 323i a few streets from me. I walked past it the other day and checked the MOT history. It's been off the road since 2011 but has a somewhat tasty-looking exhaust on it. I'm a massive wuss and don't want to go knocking on the door of such a rough-looking house asking after the car in the drive though.

In more short-term plans I have an oil and filter here for the 316 which will get done soon. Still got to look after it as it stands for now. Hell, it's still a lot of fun to drive so I can only imagine what it would be like with 90% more power.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

If you don't want to knock on the door why not send them a letter?
You could also write something like good prices paid for BMW parts on the outside of it to encourage them to open it and not think that it's a bill or a summons.

There's probably little chance of a response but might be worth it for the cost of a stamp. As it's a rough looking house I wouldn't give them my address, just a mobile number.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I thought you liked the car as it was so basic?

I suspect the insurance for dropping a big lump in would be worse than just buying one with a big lump already.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Hooli wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:54 pm I suspect the insurance for dropping a big lump in would be worse than just buying one with a big lump already.
HOOLI IN FINALLY-TALKING-SENSE SHOCKER.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:08 pm
Hooli wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:54 pm I suspect the insurance for dropping a big lump in would be worse than just buying one with a big lump already.
HOOLI IN FINALLY-TALKING-SENSE SHOCKER.
Not to mention I bet the six pot ones have different springs/shocks/maybe suspension layout to deal with the extra weight up front too.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

All good points, but even with an increase in insurance it's a far cheaper option than spending out the fortunes people ask even for utterly shagged 6-pot ones.

I also perhaps give BMW too much credit but I imagine the suspension design is the same, replacing springs and shocks isn't the end of the world.

From my research I've found that the 4-pots and 6-pots use the same size of front discs, and even the same size of piston in the caliper. The only difference is that 6-pots use vented discs, thus thicker. This means I just need the calipers off a 6-pot and they'd bolt onto the same carriers (along with new discs and pads).

As I said, it's an idea for now, but admittedly one I quite like.

I do quite like how basic the car is, but I also like the 6-pot noise. Life's too short, might as well try to have some fun!

For now, of course, the plan is to continue looking after it and servicing it as a 4-pot. The timeline for all of this is completely up in the air.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SubPar wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 pm I just need the calipers off a 6-pot and they'd bolt onto the same carriers (along with new discs and pads).

RONG.

The carriers are different (wider) for the much thicker vented discs.

But:

If you can find a 2.8 with exhaust, loom, ECU and flywheel you're halfway there. The 316i box is the same as a 320i/323i and is pretty tough. You won't break the 316i diff (same as 318i, 320i) unless you drive like a mental. Some disc brake rear arms would be good. You'll need some 323i/328i springs. 6 cyl cars have the battery in the boot and 4 cyl cars have a different ABS pump which may or may not work - MOT fail if it doesn't.
Dropping the engine in is the easy bit - the wiring will be the headache but not insurmountable.

Oh, and a good M52 2.8 with loom, ECU and exhaust is £800 plus. Cheap they are not.