Sub Par Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
panhard65

Re: Sub Par Cars

Post by panhard65 »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:09 am Worn bush? Fill the cunt with Tigerseal.
Come on you are not on the beige now ! We fix things proper on here.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I fitted a poly bush to the top engine steady to one of y t5's. I wasn't impressed it was harsh after and vibrated at idle. That was three piece too. The mx-5 is fully poly bushed and handles really well but it does have the odd knock and squeak. I've had it in a garage where they prodded, levered and poked but could find nothing.
Consensus from garage and online, poly bushes do that. live with it.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Aye, I knew what I was in for before I started.

It's better than having the whole fucking engine and gearbox rocking around though!

It's always been a slightly rattly old car anyway, so it doesn't detract from (or add to) its character. It just feels at home amongst all the other rattles and squeaks from various places around the interior. It's an odd old bus, this. Very comfy and squishy at speed but it doesn't half get grumpy when shunting around in town. Hence I only use it for longer jaunts.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I found that with the 93. A horrible pig to drive in town, superb on a motorway.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I went for a drive around the Aberdeenshire coast this afternoon.

The exhaust is blowing again from somewhere around the middle / back, and I should probably change the coolant sooner rather than later. It really doesn't seem happy sitting stationary idling for long before the temperature creeps up. Or it could just be because it has an accurate temperature gauge. The fans kick in as they should and it never hits the red then cools down straight away once I'm moving again, so meh.

Either way, have some artsy photos of a wobbly old boat and some fishing vessels.

I can also confirm the new gearbox mount has definitely improved the driving experience.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Let's see how this exhaust repair wrap holds up, then. It seems to have quietened things down and will perhaps be a longer term solution than gun gum.

Garage who welded in that new flexi made a complete arse of the welds, though. They're about as airtight as a colander. Hence the leaking, the gun gum, and now that repair wrap.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Have you priced a new part? I had the flexi replaced on my 9-5 & from memory it came in 1p CHEAPER to get to supplied & fitted by a local place than I could buy the part for. I can't recall the cost though.

It was done shortly after the trip to Shitefest in Nick the Saab guy's garden as it blew halfway across Scotland on the way there.
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I'm very tempted by this.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5263128158

The seller will take a £200 deposit to hold it for a fortnight, as I have a mate who needs to collect a car from Northampton pending some DVLA paperwork. Hopefully that paperwork will be forthcoming soon and we can tie it all into one trip. The paperwork has been with the DVLA for a couple of weeks so far, that's why I hope it's forthcoming soon, it's not like it's just been submitted today or anything.

Hmmmmm.

The seller has good reviews on autotrader, and a very professional looking website of their own. Mobile number only, but these days a lot of people don't use land lines (I know I don't). Distance buying is a gamble but the MOT history speaks for itself. The address of the business is a terraced house, but the photos appear to have been taken outside Earls Court Exhibition Centre, a very distinctive building genuinely just round the corner from the house address.

I know it's "just" a 100hp-odd Toyota Corolla. However, a 100hp-odd smallish hatchback would be an ideal equivalent replacement for the 316 which is getting somewhat grotty and tired (and already has an interested party even in its current state).
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

100hp is more powerful than any of my cars....
Bazfr69

Post by Bazfr69 »

SubPar wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:53 am I'm very tempted by this.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5263128158

The seller will take a £200 deposit to hold it for a fortnight, as I have a mate who needs to collect a car from Northampton pending some DVLA paperwork. Hopefully that paperwork will be forthcoming soon and we can tie it all into one trip. The paperwork has been with the DVLA for a couple of weeks so far, that's why I hope it's forthcoming soon, it's not like it's just been submitted today or anything.

Hmmmmm.

The seller has good reviews on autotrader, and a very professional looking website of their own. Mobile number only, but these days a lot of people don't use land lines (I know I don't). Distance buying is a gamble but the MOT history speaks for itself. The address of the business is a terraced house, but the photos appear to have been taken outside Earls Court Exhibition Centre, a very distinctive building genuinely just round the corner from the house address.

I know it's "just" a 100hp-odd Toyota Corolla. However, a 100hp-odd smallish hatchback would be an ideal equivalent replacement for the 316 which is getting somewhat grotty and tired (and already has an interested party even in its current state).
These are a very good car indeed. I had a friend with one and it was a constant in his motoring life for many years.