Was: 1985 BMW E28 520i / Now: Moggie is Now Go

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: Was: 1985 BMW E28 520i - Now: Finding a Mini

Post by PhilA »

Bristol got a LEZ now?
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

PhilA wrote:Bristol got a LEZ now?
October this year it's supposed to be coming in.

2005+ petrol and 2015+ diesels don't get charged. Historic class vehicles are exempt. £9 charge daily and applicable 365 days a year otherwise.

My 2002 Clio should be ok as under the limits, even though not badged as Euro 4. Apparently legislation is done on the limits not Euro number.

Basically from the Cumberland Basin up through the centre to the bottom of the M32 is in the zone. Especially irritating for me as I skip through there to avoid the M5 when going to/from in-laws.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

panhard65 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:11 pm If it makes it to Haynes on Sunday there will be a lovely bargain DKW. Imgine the fun you could have driving through the Bristol low emission zone sticking your fingers up to the crusties whilst belching out 2 stroke fumes.
I'm intrigued to see, but I'm not sure I'm intrigued to own!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Yellow Clubman is at 5 grand already this time. Probably where it should be in the current market.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114791951138
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

SiC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm This is pretty much spot on what I'm after except maybe a Webasto, but I'm not going to be picky on that. Not perfect by any stretch but not messed with either. By the sounds of it, an old boy who has owned it for most of its life and buzzed around locally with it.

Just arranged a time to go view. Having to do through the son-in-law who will phone up (presumably) old boy. I guess the only sticking point maybe the price. The starting price (reserve not met) is what I really would have liked to pay for it tbh.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144029931574

(I'm sure the Rev will hate it 🤣)
Just come back after seeing it. Was with the old chap and his son-in-law.

Not too bad a car. Had some welding previously that was done to a reasonable standard. Mostly patches on the rear side. Underneath is solid though. Nothing hidden on the car though. Few crusty bits but nothing needing immediate attention.

Quite funny as the old chap was going through different stuff it's had. Like the offside Mayfair sticker is the wrong colour. Apparently got reversed into by a 4x4 and the towbar damaged the front wing. Only the wing needed changing.

He obviously absolutely loved the car. It was in his wife's name for a bit as she was worried he'd sell it. Told me to be "VERY CAREFUL" going up and down the cul-de-sac. 😆

Price wise, they wanted more than 3k. I didn't want to commit to a number and said I'd have a think on it. Did try saying 3k is what I was after and the son-in-law response was that it's already got bids at that.

Thing is, I'm not sure I really want it? Its a lot for something that's very utilitarian. I could get a pretty decent ADO16 as a 1300 for similar to that, which is older and in better condition.

I think I'd rather spend a bit more and get a hotter one. Or dare I say it, a modified one. A 90s Cooper probably is where I think I really want to be at with one. That Clubman Estate I think I'd prefer over this beige one if I'm going utilitarian.

Might start thinking about a Moggie Traveller too maybe? Even if my best mate told me that if I got one, he hates them that much that he'd have to tell Mrs SiC to start divorce proceedings against me 🤣

Rare for me to say this, I'm quite tempted to keep hold of my cash until something that really catches my eye comes up. It'd probably be a different case if the MGB wasn't road ready. However that gives most of the classic car fix I need at the moment anyway.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I would think a solid one is way more important than a hot one.
They're piss easy to mod if you're after a bi it of pep.
Fuck rust, you have enough with the triharumph.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This wasn't that solid. Solid all in the right areas but still needed some work in the future. Crusty on part of the windscreen area, patch welded on the rear and stuff like that, with some of it starting to come through. Didn't appear panel over panel but looking at the other side, cut out and a plate welded on. Then presumably some filler over the top to blend in the work. Basically what you'd expect to be done on a car for an MOT or to look half reasonable. So basically what I was expecting really.

But ultimately I'm unsure if a humdrum base Mini will hold my attention for too long.

I'm also really interested to see if there is anything interesting around for sale on the Haynes Breakfast meet on Sunday (no, not a DKW!)
christine

Post by christine »

Bide your time ,a better one will be always pop up unexpected ..
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That is my current thought. However I'm not one to have a lot of patience!

It's a bit different with minis than other classics I've been after often still not many around. While Minis seem to always be for sale and new ones coming up for sale all the time.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

SiC wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:59 am This looks reasonable

Oh

Oh dear.

Looks like it's been parked only ever one way and facing the sea. I'll admit this one scales high on my "It is Fucked" scale. Presumably rust perforation on many of these panels?

Still fetching good money already. The price between utterly fucked, a bit hanging and good Minis doesn't vary a lot. Only when they're super mint do the price go to stupid levels.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265144636556
This is now pretty much a three grand Mini ffs