1966 Plymouth Fury 3

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: 1966 Plymouth Fury 3

Post by PhilA »

Yeah. Vehicles are treated in the same way houses are.

You must have a legally binding document that's updated to the government's database, and hold a paper copy to show who owns the vehicle, who keeps the vehicle (hence the ubiquitous "clear title" which means the owner and keeper are the same, rather than the owner being the bank and the keeper owing against a lien).

Then when you want to use the vehicle you have to bring proof the vehicle is insured (which you must keep with the vehicle), proof you have a license to drive the vehicle (which you must have with you when you drive) and the registration document which holds details about the title of the vehicle (which must remain in the vehicle when it's driven) coupled with a plate to go on the outside that references the registration document (which must match). Here also, you must present all that at the vehicle testing station before they'll test the vehicle for use on the highway, and if it passes the vehicle recieves a dated sticker in the front window.

So, if the cops "run the plate", it'll refer back to the registration document- which shows the vehicle make, model, color etc, who owns it, who keeps it etc which then should match the id of the license holder in the vehicle, who must show proof there and then the vehicle is insured, that they have a license appropriate to the vehicle and finally that all of that matches the VIN in the window.

That's why the plates get turned in, similar to the old tax disc system when it expires it goes back to the DMV.

But the be-all and end-all of the vehicle's identity is always the VIN, because that doesn't change, even when the vehicle is moved between jurisdictions.

That's why I have a registration document with no plate attached to it right now- that's my temporary title; it has replaced the Mississippi title that was signed over to me, the bill of sale showing receipt of the vehicle which are now in the DMV's possession.
A full document showing that I own it, which is kept in my safe at home, will arrive in the mail in a week or so.

On the lien thing, my pickup truck, on finance, gives me the registration slip only- the bank owns it until the lien is settled. Then the bank will do a title transfer into my name and I'll recieve a paper title to the vehicle, showing my ownership.

The reason being is that for vehicle ownership, between states it is very much akin to moving the vehicle between member countries of the European Union- there the VIN is the identification and the UK road use registration plate (transferable between owners) is then relinquished to the DVLA and is then re-registered in the new jurisdiction with a new road use identity.

Phil
Last edited by PhilA on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

All well and good keeping stuff in the vehicle - until it gets stolen like my sister's Sentra in Ontario did. Before she knew the car was gone they had driven to her house and burgled that too - following the address on the documents kept in the vehicle as required!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

mercrocker wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:37 pm All well and good keeping stuff in the vehicle - until it gets stolen like my sister's Sentra in Ontario did. Before she knew the car was gone they had driven to her house and burgled that too - following the address on the documents kept in the vehicle as required!
That's the only downside, yes. Some people remove the registration when they leave the vehicle but then, the dance can happen, you can just run the plate and gather that information anyway.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

When you say "run the plate" I assume that the release of information is a little freer than it still is here?
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

mercrocker wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:43 pm When you say "run the plate" I assume that the release of information is a little freer than it still is here?
It's awkward but you can still gather a modest amount of information.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Keep the docs in a sticky copy of playboy shoved under the seat? That should put folks off.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Not everyone though..
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Phil is what you paid the normal level of bargaining expected in the US or did you local fame proceed you? I'm still looking at vans....
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

DodgeRover wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:17 pm Keep the docs in a sticky copy of playboy shoved under the seat? That should put folks off.
My sister's motor was nicked by a couple of purple-haired lezza crack leeches. They'd have taken the jizz mag as well......
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:47 am Phil is what you paid the normal level of bargaining expected in the US or did you local fame proceed you? I'm still looking at vans....
No, this was particularly cheap due to it being in pieces and missing some stuff.

So far most people start guessing what I paid around $8k when asked to provide an estimated value.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag