The thin end of the wedge

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

The thin end of the wedge

Post by Warren t claim »

TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Bazfr69

Re: The thin end of the wedge

Post by Bazfr69 »

Interesting couple of weeks for the French with this and the internal flights legislation...
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

Cant imagine that’s going to be an issue for Dacia, won’t help sales of Megane RS’ though.

Seems a random figure, unless Renault know something about new higher speed limits coming in. Logically any speed limiter should be at whatever the maximum allowed by law.
I sometimes drive things that warn you to raise the tyre pressures if you intend to sustain high speed , which I think of as a subtle speed limiter , sort of “ Ahem ,sir , is this wise?”
Same with the 155 limit , there’s no real reason for it and quite a few cars that are supposed to have it struggle to get to 150 anyway.

So 130 Kmh limit yet 180 limiter, reduced from 250. Good job we left, oh no, we never got our speed limits raised to the same as Europe anyway!
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Didn't Volvo say that they were going to do this a few months ago?

If the Greens get in in Germany I expect they'll do something similar.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Anything over 100mph and you're asking for trouble anyway. Other than the track or autobahn, what's the point?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

NorfolkNWeigh wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:24 pm Cant imagine that’s going to be an issue for Dacia, won’t help sales of Megane RS’ though.

Seems a random figure, unless Renault know something about new higher speed limits coming in. Logically any speed limiter should be at whatever the maximum allowed by law.
I was reading that RenaultSports and French hot hatches in general have pretty much been killed off by their car tax now.

112mph = 180kph
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

paulplom wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:12 pm Anything over 100mph and you're asking for trouble anyway. Other than the track or autobahn, what's the point?
On UK motorways that feel like they were paved by the Romans anything over 100 gets properly twitchy. Granted everything I've done 100 in has been ancient and decrepit but still...

Plenty of folk doing triple figures in private plated Rangies and Beemer SUVs mind, suppose its more viable when you'll simply go through anything you hit.

Mildly worried I may have gotten papped doing 60 in a 50 on my way to work in the Acclaim on Monday. Was passing a lorry and never saw the van...
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

captain_70s wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 pm On UK motorways that feel like they were paved by the Romans anything over 100 gets properly twitchy. Granted everything I've done 100 in has been ancient and decrepit but still...
Very much depends on the car, condition and it's aero. My first car, a Clio II 1.2 16v would have it's front end start lifting above 95mph and wasn't pleasant. Where as (I really was on a private track officer) my 172 was still stable when I looked down at the Speedo as it was getting near to the rev limiter in fourth gear while chasing down some Merc Coupe...

The BGT above 75mph starts getting very unpleasant. I believe BL special tuning did a front splitter that helped with that.

Biggest thing I've found difference is breaking hard from high speed. German cars from my experience seem especially good at it. I imagine because they've spec the braking system for A-bahn use.

That Saab you've got should be pretty rock solid at speed though. Certainly both Saab's I've had were and they also give tyre pressures for high speed use.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

captain_70s wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 pm
paulplom wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:12 pm Anything over 100mph and you're asking for trouble anyway. Other than the track or autobahn, what's the point?
On UK motorways that feel like they were paved by the Romans anything over 100 gets properly twitchy. Granted everything I've done 100 in has been ancient and decrepit but still...

Plenty of folk doing triple figures in private plated Rangies and Beemer SUVs mind, suppose its more viable when you'll simply go through anything you hit.

Mildly worried I may have gotten papped doing 60 in a 50 on my way to work in the Acclaim on Monday. Was passing a lorry and never saw the van...
The ticket is one to keep for it's history :D

I had my 1998 s70 up to 145 before I bottled it. It was rock steady and still pulling like fuck. The speed of the white lines passing and the fear of a blow out made me reign it in. I also had a Vreg v6 vectra sri up to 140 too. That was also solid but I ran out of road.
Both times I was on the Autobahn on my way to the Hitler museum.