Cars you hated and hope not to see again

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SubPar

Re: Cars you hated and hope not to see again

Post by SubPar »

SiC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:08 pm I'll never have a bad word said against the Laguna II. They are fantastic cars.

Which other manufacturer would put a talking computer in (as a cost-option) to specifically tell you there was a problem with the car?
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

(Austin Rover that's who)

That first video has me in tears every time. That's classic deadpan humour.

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:01 pm I had a B6 A4 1.8T. I always wondered who drove an E46 when new and honestly thought the A4 was better. It was utterly average in everything and an absolute pain in the arse to work on.
I see they carried on the traditions from the B5, then.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Hateful things. The old 80 was hardly exciting, but a superior product.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Are all Renault like that? Thankfully I have never driven one.
As I suspected I was right about everything.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Fiat 132. I delivered quite a few new ones in the '70's; 5 speed box was novel then but they seemed characterless and not at all special to drive. The 131 was similarly insipid except that its big glass area made it seem a nice place to sit initially. Avenger was a far better drive.
Pug 504, never liked them though undoubtably robust. The leasing company I worked for used one for delivering new cars and recovering busted ones. Imagine dragging a Granada to Scotland with just a 65 odd bhp Indenor diesel. Later a 504 pick up had a similar engine but was even more uncomfortable, and my standards are not high.
70's TVRs had abysmal reliability, we never drove them to the customers, might as well put it straight on the transporter at the yard as that would be how it completed its journey.
Mk 4 Cortinas had frequent carb problems, but most people got round them with a little understanding and I didn't mind them. Fitted manual chokes to persistent offenders. Similarly the Princess had qualities if you could get past it's horrible looks but I wouldn't want one. Biggest thing I learned was to take no notice of the bollocks Car magazine came out with.
christine

Post by christine »

We had one of those electric blue 1999 suzuki swift 1 litre 3 cylinder 3 doors that were pre registered , 15 miles , 4999 quid .. bloody awful thing . Crashed it .
Bazfr69

Post by Bazfr69 »

In order of ownership.

Audi 80 Sport, a car that I was quite keen to own but my £600 panic buy was not a great introduction to the marque. It ran rough from the day I brought it home, the wheels had seized to the hubs and I had to break a rear quarter one night while coming back from the snooker club with some mates when it decided to randomly lock itself and not reopen.

E30 318i Touring, another car I was enthusiastic about getting but marred by an aftermarket immobiliser that had a mind of its own and made the car an unreliable nightmare. Never knew if it would start when you needed it to and with a habit of activating while you were hoofing up the motorway. Not fun.

Pug 306 bought in a hurry after we sold our Range Rover and tbf anything was likely to be a comedown afterwards. A gutless 1.4 petrol Meridian which seemed to take forever to wind itself up to motorway speeds but I feel it was a good car, just the wrong version of it.

Mk1 Eunos which I loved for a while but developed an irritating electrical fault which fucked me off to the point of binning it. It was also the only car that I had bought to that point without telling my mrs and she always hated it because of that.
Spent a load of cash on JDM goodies for it but even pre trouble I just never gelled with it the way I’d hoped, I enjoyed my Smart Roadster miles better in every way.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

treehugger wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 pm Are all Renault like that? Thankfully I have never driven one.
They are all hateful uncomfy piles of shit that drive like a week old cowpat.
Private signature, do not read

Post by Guest »

Hooli wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:34 pm
treehugger wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 pm Are all Renault like that? Thankfully I have never driven one.
They are all hateful uncomfy piles of shit that drive like a week old cowpat.
You say that like it's a bad thing
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I've driven all manner of shit but the only ones I've really not got one with were a relative's Rover 213 genuine 23k and garaged all is life, sold to me when he gave up driving, needed the arches and sills welding up for its MOT - I just hated it for no real reason i can remember.

Holden VK Commodore wagon, hateful POS fought me at every turn, auto with the 202 black motor - the first year to run an ECU of sorts and a computerized carb. Should have raced the bastard at Waikaraka park but it probably wouldn't have made it out of the pits without breaking down - replaced with a Sierra 2.0 auto estate that was better in every single way
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

When the diff in my Mk3 Golf GTI (I loved it) exploded, a mate lent me an E30 318i Touring which I hated. Despite the fact it was even less powerful than the Golf, it was far too easy to get the back out (I don’t like RWD anyway). Even then it seemed old fashioned in a bad way and the ergonomics compared badly with the Golf. It also drank petrol and oil far too quickly. Worst of all the seat gave me terrible back ache after about an hour driving it. I felt bad as it was lent to me as a favour while the Golf was fixed, but I wish I hadn’t bothered.
When the Golf was written off in 2005 the insurance provided a new Meriva with delivery miles. That was really hard to see out of the back and side and made worse by having so called privacy glass so it almost could have been a van. The CD player was really annoying as it had the speed sensitive volume that was stupidly clumsy in execution and also turned the volume down to just above a whisper upon re start. Also had a strange thing happen, went into Halfords having parked just outside and locked it, came out very soon afterwards to find the passenger door open!
The only car I’ve not really liked that I actually owned was the XM V6. I agreed to buy it having watched Ronin while also drinking far too much. At the time I owned a much loved C4 VTS which was genuinely quirky both inside and out and expected the XM to be as well. OK I loved how the XM looked, but I didn’t get on with how it drove, it felt a bit floppy and not really as comfortable as I thought it should be. I did get an XM club expert (he was an architect natually) to drive it at some Citroen show to check the suspension was doing all the electronic stuff it should. He drove it at about 90mph down a narrow bumpy country lane and reckoned it was fine. It didn’t help that it was auto and the PRV V6 as it always seemed to be in the wrong gear and the engine didn’t have enough poke to cover that up. The parking brake was some kind of French joke and it cost me more than I paid for it to get it through the first MOT and nearly as much the next year. It probably was less quirky as it was a Series 2 car so had the airbag steering wheel rather than the single spoke design. I also ran it out of petrol while the gauge was still just about showing fuel and as it coasted to a stop, the low fuel light came on...
DSCN2224.JPG
DSCN2224.JPG (506.85 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
DSCN2225.JPG
DSCN2225.JPG (605.6 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
DSCN2226.JPG
DSCN2226.JPG (537.34 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
Anyway I swopped it with an AS member for a Renault Modus for Mrs Concern, that promptly broke its timing belt! (We had it fixed and still have it and really like it even though it’s hideous). In a double whammy of bad luck, the XM gearbox exploded at the same time so neither of us did well out of the deal!
Bonus pic of Moodus!
Moodus.jpg
Moodus.jpg (577.1 KiB) Viewed 2509 times