Cars Where The Reality Failed To Live Up To The Expectation

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: Cars Where The Reality Failed To Live Up To The Expectation

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

VM. With the Chrysler 'box.
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

NorfolkNWeigh wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:28 am I test drove a 205GTi , with a view to having a lease one as a company car in 1985. I had been an avid reader of car for almost 10 years by this point, so was expecting greatness...
Admittedly I only drove it round Chiswick and a quick (ish) blast out to Heston services and back to Warwick Wright, but I thought it slow and tinny and this was compared to the 3 year old MK1 XR2 , I’d been given as a stopgap to use.
As a fully mulleted chav Ford Licker cunt of 21 I chose an XR3i, obviously in white. Story of my life up till then ( and since) buy something Car approved; R17, Beta Coupe etc then get fed up of foreign flakiness and replace with a Granada or Cortina!

Many years later I bought aCTi for Mrs N , it was OK , apart from when I was driving it home I rested my right hand at the join of the door and screen on a bumpy road- ended up with a big black mans pinch, due to the body flex.
My dad had a 205gti while I had an XR3i and although the Pug was lovely, I didn't regret having the Ford instead. Plus my dad span the 205 a couple of times haha!
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I got chucked the keys to a fairly new Bentley Brooklands LPT back in the day (late 90s) and was told to being it back brimmed with fuel. I picked my mate up and we went out in it. I was 21 or there abouts from memory. It seemed shite. I came across the car 2 years ago in Morris Leslie classic car auction in Perth. I'd kill for it now.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

When I say shite, the driving position seemed cramp, the body seemed floppy and the tyres squealed like a fucking pig.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

brandersnatch wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 am Lancia 8.32. One of my cousins in Italy had one as well as a V6 Thema. We went out in them back to back 8.32 first. It was so disappointing. Harsh jiggly ride, uncomfortable and it didn’t feel very special. It did make a nice noise though.
The V6 was totally different. Smooth, comfortable ride. A much nicer thing altogether.
Another of my cousins also had an 8.32. They won it in a competition on a Grappa Piave bottle. That one was never driven, sold on almost immediately.
My favourite saloon car of all time so thanks for bursting my bubble. Twat.

Of all the Type Four cars, I've driven Saab 9000s and been impressed. Owned a couple of early 164s that were a blast and been a passenger in a Croma 2000ie and CHT plenty of times but never had the chance to sample a Thema of any variety.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Not a car but a truck.

The Scania V8. I'll admit that they sound nice but they really aren't any better than the equivalent Volvo or Daf.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Warren t claim wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:57 am
brandersnatch wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 am Lancia 8.32. One of my cousins in Italy had one as well as a V6 Thema. We went out in them back to back 8.32 first. It was so disappointing. Harsh jiggly ride, uncomfortable and it didn’t feel very special. It did make a nice noise though.
The V6 was totally different. Smooth, comfortable ride. A much nicer thing altogether.
Another of my cousins also had an 8.32. They won it in a competition on a Grappa Piave bottle. That one was never driven, sold on almost immediately.
My favourite saloon car of all time so thanks for bursting my bubble. Twat.

Of all the Type Four cars, I've driven Saab 9000s and been impressed. Owned a couple of early 164s that were a blast and been a passenger in a Croma 2000ie and CHT plenty of times but never had the chance to sample a Thema of any variety.
Soz.

His Maserati Biturbo wasn’t fantastic either.
Having said that I did scare my dad in that. I tested the acceleration on a straight bit of road up to around 160 kph. Being used to motorbikes it didn’t seem that quick. My dad however, being used to his Sierra 1.6GL, was quite alarmed* at me going so fast.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

They say never meet your heroes don't they?

At times I think about hiring an E type or something similar but then chicken out. I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan and my missus and sons offered to buy me a ticket for their O2 reunion concert, I told them thanks but no thanks. I saw them live at Earls Court in 1975 and would like to remember them like that, not 30+ years older with a different drummer.

I am a boring old fart but I'm too old to change now.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

I missed out seeing Led Zeppelin at Knebworth in 1979. I’d a holiday booked so I thought I’ll leave it this time and see them on their next tour…
Bazfr69

Post by Bazfr69 »

I used to work with a chap who saw them at the Ulster Hall in 1971, I was very envious.