Morris Minor Ratrod

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Morris Minor Ratrod

Post by DodgeRover »

A dealer selling that as anything other than an ambitious restoration project should be reported to someone.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Considering some have done time for mileage offences the cunt wants locking up.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That's fixable, just a shite load of work. Probably another car that's been used as a daily driver by someone unaware of needing or bothering to take rust prevention measures taken.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

One of those cars that could technically be repaired, but unless you have massive sentimental value attached to it and almost unlimited time and money there's no real point. I'd be surprised if it hasn't twisted with moving.

You wouldn't buy it as a project, you wouldn't even take it for free...
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This evening didn't go off to a great start. Where I left it uncovered, it flash rusted from rain the other day. Ended up spending a good half hour on the wire wheel grinder to clean this all up. Then a good half hour with the flap disc to dress the welds

Then got to work welding the arch to the lip, also joining the lip at the very bottom and front of the arch at the bottom too.
Nearly there now! Just the left hand lip to weld on now.

Except I ran out of welding gas. Will need to find some time to run down to BOC and get a new cylinder. Bloody heavy things though.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Do BOC still charge a delivery charge when you collect? That was another of the reasons we fell out with them
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:40 am Do BOC still charge a delivery charge when you collect? That was another of the reasons we fell out with them
I've never been charged when I've picked up in branch.

Once the Dolomite is done, I'll be changing to someone else and going rent-free again with a more local supplier. BOC on the volksworld deal is decent value if you get through more than one bottle of gas a year, but less than that it's not.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

I'm with Hobbyweld. Deposit for the bottle and just pay to have it refilled whenever.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I was with Hobbyweld originally but it worked out cheaper on the BOC hobby deal if I used one cylinder of BOC Y sized cylinder of gas a year. The BOC Y cylinder contains 4.83m^3 while the original Hobbyweld is 1.34m^3. So the BOC is 3.6 times the amount of gas in it. Bottle refill cost was similar and once factoring in the years cylinder rent, another refill worked out cheaper.

Hobbyweld had a larger cylinder but the regulator was built into it and the deposit disproportionately more expensive. Looks like they offer larger capacity offerings now without the regulator and less deposit.

I've got a local car part shop that has just taken up rent-free SGS cylinders. I need to check to see how their costs stack up with BOC. Less hassle as more local.

I'd quite like a smaller cylinder again as the BOC cylinder is bloody heavy. Too heavy for my welding trolly and caused to break it's back 😬

Lugging it around the garage or even outside is a right chore. About 40kg (I think full?). At least it's not the 85kg W cylinder though...
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

sealey-grey-zinc-primer-paint-500ml-scs034s.jpg
sealey-grey-zinc-primer-paint-500ml-scs034s.jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
That stuff is readily available and will save the arse that you had to go to with the flash rusting. I used it on the Connect and it coped with plug welds no problem at all, no signs of porosity. That was outside in the elements the whole time I was working on it and I didn't have to spend any time at all dealing with rust on previously cleaned metal.