Morris Minor Ratrod

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Nibblet

Re: Morris Minor Ratrod

Post by Nibblet »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:36 pm ^^^^ Someone buy him a shrinker/stretcher and a wheeling machine.
A variety of hammers, dollys and lumps of hardwood, that and some good mild steel will do it. A wheeling machine is fuck all use for general bodging on an old bus like this. She ain't no Frua bodied Ferrari. An anvil is a help mind you.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I do still need to pick up that anvil from Christine...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Nibblet wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:54 pm
mercrocker wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:52 pm Doing it yourself puts value into it too, I never learned to weld or paint so I have to fork out for other people to do those things. I would need to go back to work to afford that now so it is going to have to wait.
If only....
The nature of the whole classic car scene these days means there is always a fool ready to part with big money for a basket case car. By the same virtue a good car will be overlooked. I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that unless you have money to burn or really enjoy the challenge, car restoration isn't worth the candle, especially on lower value cars.
That's not to downplay what SiC is doing, if he's enjoying it that's all to the good, I'm just 15 yrs further on... 😭
I just enjoy learning new skills and fixing old rusty crap. Pissing about with low value stuff is more fun as you can do what you want without worry. If you fuck it up really bad then if it's cheap, you're not going to loose much.

Metal working has lost the fun aspect though. Welding is ok but panel shaping and fitting is a right chore. Noisy, dirty and uncomfortable. I don't wear my mask enough and just been blowing out grinding dust from my nose. Can't be good for my health.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

You can do an awful lot bashing steel over suitable sections of hardwood. Worth annealing the steel every so often too, that makes welds soft enough they can be filed and also takes induced tension out of repair sections. Try to avoid using thicker plate, strength comes through design, not through bulk. Anything thicker than the customary 0.6mm 22 gauge? Is a tosser. Also, never use any old filing cabinet or fridge shit, it will rust whilst you watch it!
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

I actually love panel work, welding and paintwork but I am practically certifiable....
As you say, not healthy neither...

Thomas Sowell
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

... Do buy old panels though, especially 1970s and earlier, it was much softer, better steel and will yield useful sections that may at least be close to what you need. I have bought old sills that were near to what I required and improved them. I have used sections cut from wheel arches that needed tightening a bit further or flattening.

Thomas Sowell
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Didn't do them myself (of course...) but the rear wheel arch on the Cowley was from a Mk1 Transit and the sill sections it needed were ADO16. Wheel arch needed only minimal reworking, the sill sections none, other than cutting down lengthways.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Decision made. Marked out where I want to cut.
Feels like some backstreet plastic surgeon.

Nearly got my money's worth out of it. Given the cost of these, I think this cutting out has cost me nearly a quid!

Going to keep some of the old metal on the bottom for something to weld to.

Battery change on the grinder and then back to it.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Looks like the right option to me
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Brake drums are missing the plugs for the adjuster holes.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.