Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 & 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread

Post by PhilA »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:05 pm Mini clutches are a bastard.
So they continued some traditions over from the original too?
That's proper engineering heritage right there.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Old Mini clutches are easy. 2 hours start to finish with very little 'under car' work.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:05 pm I admire your commitment but I am so over projects now. Changing two calipers is about as much as I can be bothered with these days unless I'm being paid.
I'd love to do a classic Mini clutch, but modern? It score low on the fun level. But then doing the cam chain on this I would quite like to do?

Essentially I only do work on my cars if a) it's enjoyable, b) something in my expert domain of knowledge that I'd likely do better than a professional (i.e. car electrical/electronics), c) low risk of getting hurt, d) I'll learn something.

Fanny around under heavy modern engines+gearboxes, while trying to wrestle them in place on jack stands, fails all three of the above. Something like a cam chain that doesn't require moving much heavy stuff (which would be supported anyway) and never having done one before, scores higher.

My in-laws friend (professional mechanic), had a spring snap that hit him in the face at work while pulling a strut assembly and leading to a few weeks hospitalisation. This put me right off most suspension work, especially modern McPherson struts.

At the cost to get a professional to do such work at a local garage, it doesn't make it worth my while doing it. To put it bluntly, I'll make far more having my arse sat on a chair at work than I'd save doing it myself. Especially considering the risk of injuring myself doing it and being off work.
The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:05 pm Mini clutches are a bastard.
At the moment from driving it recently, I'm thinking it's possibly the clutch mech is slow/sticky at engaging on this. Are there any known problems on these for it?

Did read a few forums that reckon the clutch slaves are all a bit shit.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Could either be a sticky slave, doors it have a traditional rubber flexi between the gearbox and body? If so that should be collapsing, not letting the fluid back quickly. All the ones I've seen tend to have the pipe bent in a U which doesn't help.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

The slow slaves I've seen have all been a build up of crud outside the piston that turns into glue & stops it returning properly.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Intake pipe finally arrived yesterday. Rubbish eBay seller took forever to post it.

Old one is knackered

Disconnected the battery as I am going to remove the airbox to lube the gear linkage. For some stupid reason, the ECU is powered even with the ignition off. So removing the ECU sets the fan to full despite the key out.

Removed top cover and intercooler

Airbox just required one bolt to remove. Then pulling off.

Airbox contained water in the intake tube for some reason?

Linkage didn't look too bad but the cables were corroded under the boots. Longer term the cables will probably need replacing.

I used silicone grease on the cables and lithium grease on the linkage. Not sure lithium grease was the best tbh, but it's on there now.

Throttle body was filthy and I suspect never has been cleaned.

Cleaned it thoroughly and spotless.

Took off the intake horn. Bit of a bugger with the bypass valve pipe and the stupid BMW clips.

Bypass valve doesn't look like it shuts properly.

Took some time to clean the inside of it and also undo the plate to realign it. Better but not perfect. Might replace this at some point if the car behaves. They're a known weak point and if they don't seal properly then precious boost air will be lost.

Consulted the box of Jubilee to find a replacement for the irritating BMW clips that are a bugger to close when in a tight place.

Noticed this pipe was starting to wear through from rubbing. The wiring loom outer cover is worn too but thankfully not into the wiring.

Put everything back together again. Not the easiest car to work on as everything is a bit jam packed.

To set the new throttle end points, I turned the ignition on and then turned off. Not sure if this is the correct method but you can hear the throttle plate moving back and forth after turning the ignition off. The car started ok and idled ok, so it must have been something like that.

Running the engine I could hear a bit of noise out back.

Listening I could hear the exhaust blowing on the outer box. This is directly at the plastic rear bumper too.

Grabbed this pot of shite that I've had for ages.

Then made a right mess slopping it everywhere.

Looks like I'm going to need a new exhaust very soon! Mrs SiC isn't particularly happy with the squeaking as it scrapes against the car body and worried that it'll fall off when she's out with work business...

Top mount also pretty fucked now too.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

PhilA wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:56 pm Could either be a sticky slave, doors it have a traditional rubber flexi between the gearbox and body? If so that should be collapsing, not letting the fluid back quickly. All the ones I've seen tend to have the pipe bent in a U which doesn't help.
It does somewhere but not easily found! Looking at the parts diagram it looks to be crimped onto a hard line. Apart from I bet it'll be an expensive pipe, it's bound to be a bugger to replace.

However on eBay there does appear to be "uprated" braided flexi hose that goes right from the master to the slave. Probably a better bet if it does need replacing.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Clutch is definitely slipping now. Arse.

Will have to get it booked up and changed.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

My code scanner came today. Seems to connect to the car fine and does all the major modules. Only does code scanning and live sensor viewing, but for under 50quid shipped from Amazon it's good enough to live in the car.

Fuel economy is pretty good at the moment. Helped by getting stuck behind tractors doing 30mph earlier and the clutch slipping putting me off from booting it everywhere.

It slips the most around 3k to 4k when booting it in 3rd or higher. Almost certain it's not the slave as doing it when in gear now. It's worse but I'm not sure if that's from wear and/or fixing the Bypass Valve has likely increased the boost + power.

It probably could be nursed on for a long time and Mrs SiC driving is unlikely to stress it too much. But I know the temptation to boot it everywhere is too much for me, so I'll have to start looking at getting it booked in.

Also on the hunt for a replacement exhaust. Ideally second hand stock exhaust as with a clutch job now required, the spending on this is going to jump a fair bit. Turns out there are three mounting styles, pre-facelift, facelift and one in-between. Typically mine is in-between years so I'll have to take a look. Back boxes appear to be the same, just the clamps differences.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

As you know your modern shite, do you think that code reader would work on my XJR too? I need to invest in one to track down the ABS fault but I've no real idea what I'm looking at with them.
Private signature, do not read